Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
JasonG
JasonG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Kindle TOC Problem and Smashwords

Hello
Appreciate the help ahead. I am new here and to online publishing.

Basically I created my ebook in word 2010. I am using smashwords for conversion and distribution. All outputs look fine EXCEPT for Kindle.

my table of contents are by section. In the beginning I wrote it as

Sections

1 Forward
2 Introduction

I did NOT hyperlink these.

Now this converted over to the kindle fine. But above my TOC, smashwords meatgringer put a clickable table of contents above it. Not only do I have 2 TOC, but the one smashwords made just says Section 1, Section 2, etc etc

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Jason
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I believe if you want to have a decent TOC in a Smashwords doc (you are uploading a Word.doc and not a .docx aren't you?) you must use bookmarks (for your chapters) and hyperlink your TOC entires back to these chapters. If you don't use the bookmark/hyperlink process, the meatgrinder isn't going to be very good to you. If you actually label your TOC entries "Chapter ***", then the meatgrinder will pick up these headings automatically (they say) but I wouldn't trust them. Whatever you want in your TOC, use bookmark/hyperlink. Also if you want to link "back" from your Chapters to the TOC, be sure and bookmark the TOC heading with the name ref_TOC. Smash will be confused and will add the heading to your TOC as another entry if you don't.

You have downloaded Mark Coker's Smashwords Guide, haven't you. And he and his team are very prompt at answering questions.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert