Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Getting iPad to open an ebook at its cover

Before I start, Moderator, would it be possible to add an option when starting a new thread to show that this problem relates to iPads? Like they do on the Apple subforum?

I've just got an iPad, and am trying to work out how to get the ebooks I produce to open at their covers, rather than at a generic cover. I know it is possible since I've downloaded some ebooks from the iBooks store, and they all show in iTunes at their individual covers.

I've opened up one of these files and looked at its content.opf, and have modified the content.opf for one of my ebooks to see if that makes a difference. But it doesn't work; the ebook still shows the generic cover when I open the iBooks library.

I've attached the content.opf file; could some kind soul please look at it and show me what I've done wrong?

Be warned however: I'm having so much problems with Apple ePub that there will be more questions - like Mignon's earlier post about that damn iTunesMetadata.plist file.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (2.4 KB, 369 views)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You probably mean iBooks instead of iPad, right? The iPad does not have any issues with ePUB, it's the reader application that has.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You probably mean iBooks instead of iPad, right? The iPad does not have any issues with ePUB, it's the reader application that has.
Yes, I'm sure you are right. And I have no idea how many iPad users use iBooks rather than another reader application - I know one person who uses the Kindle app rather than iBooks, but that's a small sample.

But I'd still like to know where I've gone wrong in the config.opf file I uploaded.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Code:
                <meta name="cover" content="img1" />
                <item id="imgl" href="images/Cover.png" media-type="image/png" />
Note the two red words are not the same (number 1 vs. letter l).
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Code:
                <meta name="cover" content="img1" />
                <item id="imgl" href="images/Cover.png" media-type="image/png" />
Note the two red words are not the same (number 1 vs. letter l).
Bless you, Jellby! I must have read the markup a dozen times without picking up the error. I've fixed the problem and the ebook now shows its cover in the library rather than the generic cover. Now I know what to do in future.
Advert