Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
scooter66
scooter66 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Konqueror Embedded

I'm waiting for my new Kindle 3 to arrive in the mail. In the meantime, I started reading up on it and I am very much looking forward to using and playing with it.

I know the 3 comes with an included Webkit-based browser, but it is very limited in functionality (only one page open at a time, and it won't even open links with "target" attributes at all!), and it sounds like it is a bit heavy too.

I think a more open and general and fully functional browser might be useful, both for browsing and as an application platform.

Finally, in my research, I found out that Konqueror has an "embedded" build built into the source code (http://www.konqueror.org/embedded/):

"Konqueror/Embedded runs on the Qt/Embedded platform for embedded devices, in an environment without a KDE installation or a X windowing system, as one static binary, being as small as possible while still providing all essential features..."

And:

"Another key feature is the fact that Konq/E is not a fork of the browser components of KDE but it is part of the actual build process to copy over the original sources of the rendering engine, the HTTP client implementation and various support classes and compile them without modification. This is accomplished by providing drop-in replacement classes, providing source compatibility to the original code, while being optimized in size and functionality for Konq/E . This has the tremendous advantage of being able to gain from the latest bugfixes and improvements of the original browser, for free!"

Is anyone interested in getting this working on the Kindle?
scooter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
the arora browser is much simple
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert