Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you had memory, or screen problems with your Sony Reader
Yes, memory problems 4 18.18%
Yes, screen problems 2 9.09%
Yes, other problems 1 4.55%
I do not use any external memory 4 18.18%
I use a Sony Memory Stick 0 0%
I use a non-Sony Memory Stick 2 9.09%
I use an SD card of 2 GB or less 9 40.91%
I use an SD card larger than 2GB 1 4.55%
I just want to see the results 6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Wonder if Reader problems correlate with memory cards

After reading about several Sony Reader problems; e.g. black or white splotches on the screen, unable to reboot, errors directly traceable to memory cards - I began to wonder if some basic incompatibility with certain cards might be the problem. Therefore I thought to start this poll.

This poll allows multiple answers, i.e. select the type of problem and also the type of external memory used.

Do not vote if you have not had any problems. I may do that poll later.

Last edited by slayda; 07-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've used a generic 2gig SD card and I've had zero problems because of it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I occasionally use a 512MG SD card (Sandisk brand) and it's never given me any trouble with or without the card.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I bought one and filled it but I don't use it. Reader's got enough memory for the speed I read. If I need more choice, I go to the computer which I use every day.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
For about six months I used a 2gb Sandisk card for music, internal memory for books and I've never had a problem.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I use a PQI 1gb card and I sometimes find that while reading a PDF the Reader seems to think it has no card in the slot so I have to reinsert the card before I can go back to reading
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
why would screenproblems be related with memory cards? It's not logical.

The fact that some readers hang could very well be when a memory card gets removed during some read/write-operations.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
why would screenproblems be related with memory cards? It's not logical.

The fact that some readers hang could very well be when a memory card gets removed during some read/write-operations.
It may not be logical for it to be designed that way but usually problems in in a design are not logical.

I just wondered if a correlation were possible.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
well... the only logical possibility that a memory card could influence the working of the screen would be 1) the cardreader uses up so much power that the screen isn't getting enough and 2) IO problems causing the kernel to break down.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I think the poll should have had an option "I have had no problems" -- since I haven't had any problems I simply checked the memory card types I sometimes use.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Dublee
Dublee began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF300, iPad 1, Nook Tablet (CM7), Nook ST, Onyx M92
I have a Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1GB in a Lexar Memory Stick Duo adaptor. If I leave the Reader on and it powers itself off over time, when I take out the memory stick to copy books to it, reinsert it back into the Reader, and power the Reader on, the screen turns black and then back to "white" as one would see when turning a page but the Reader never turns on.

I would need to plug the Reader into the USB cable connected to my computer before the Reader would work again.

It may be an issue with my using a Memory Stick Duo adaptor. I'll test with a Sandisk Memory Stick Pro 256MB I recently acquired.
Dublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How is the memory stick formatted? Is it fat or fat32?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote