Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Warning about Stanza 2.1 Update

According to the release notes, Stanza 2.1 "removes the ability to share books over USB as required by Apple"

I'm not sure what this feature refers to-Stanza never had an official way to transfer books over USB that I knew of besides using iPhone Explorer, a third party app.

Anyways, if you do use USB with Stanza, don't upgrade without checking it out.

edit: ok, Lexcycle updated their FAQ-it IS the iPhone Explorer method they had to deprecate. That is a pity, I know some people don't have wireless.

Last edited by kjk; 02-01-2010 at 10:39 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I use Calibre/wireless (awesome) on mine, but it is a shame they did that. I hope those folks that use the wired method see your warning in time....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
According to the release notes, Stanza 2.1 "removes the ability to share books over USB as required by Apple"

I'm not sure what this feature refers to-Stanza never had an official way to transfer books over USB that I knew of besides using iPhone Explorer, a third party app.

Anyways, if you do use USB with Stanza, don't upgrade without checking it out.

edit: ok, Lexcycle updated their FAQ-it IS the iPhone Explorer method they had to deprecate. That is a pity, I know some people don't have wireless.
I use calibre for this too but before that I would upload my files to fictionwise and I could access my shelf through stanza, iirc.

Now, the reason for this change is that Apple hasn't established any guarantees on the location of files on the iphone's internal memory, so they can't allow apps to depend on that factor. The iPad will have a shared storage that will sync to the desktop, so I will be surprised if this feature doesn't show up in the next major update to the iPhone OS too. So, hopefully people affected by this USB issue with Stanza will only be affected temporarily.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote