Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
iPad and DRM question - newbie

Hi guys, I don’t own an ebook reader currently, because I’m confused by all this DRM and epub business.

If a reader only accepts DRM formats, does it mean that I can’t read free legal ebooks on it? For example those downloaded from Project Gutenberg. What about PDF files that don’t have DRM – e.g. my company reports and technical journals that I've subscribed to?

I’m actually interested in the upcoming Apple iPad, particularly for reading large PDFs in colour. Anyone knows if it will allow me to read my own material or is it constrained to only books purchased from Apple’s store?
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
There should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to read regular, non-DRM-ed PDFs.

You can do it now on the iPhone.

P.S. It's also not dificult to "liberate" DRM-ed PDFs.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Short answer - you will be able to read non-DRM content in multiple formats on the iPad.

Long answer - if a reader app can read a format with DRM, it is almost certain that it will also support the same format without DRM. For example, the Kindle can read Amazon's DRM, but also DRM-free mobipocket/PRC, txt, PDF etc. I think the iBooks app will also allow reading non-DRM ePub (assuming it supports ePub with DRM). The iPhone can read non-DRM PDFs natively, so I'm quite sure the iPad will too.

Even if the iPad doesn't have native support for a format, someone will have a free reader app for it.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
even iBooks supports only DRM, but iPad uses IPhone App. There are many free applications on App store that support many ebooks format such as stanza or PDFReader.
I would not be worry about that except Do i need to buy iPad or can say large screen Iphone on not?
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Even if the iPad doesn't have native support for a format, someone will have a free reader app for it.
We don't know this. Apple have been very protective in the past and it's a bad assumption to make. The non-DRM formats read...well...I'd not assume a wide range there either.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Short answer - you will be able to read non-DRM content in multiple formats on the iPad.

Long answer - if a reader app can read a format with DRM, it is almost certain that it will also support the same format without DRM. For example, the Kindle can read Amazon's DRM, but also DRM-free mobipocket/PRC, txt, PDF etc. I think the iBooks app will also allow reading non-DRM ePub (assuming it supports ePub with DRM). The iPhone can read non-DRM PDFs natively, so I'm quite sure the iPad will too.

This is obviously wrong, unless you have a source of information you haven't given.

All reader apps capable of reading ebooks are in direct competition with iBooks, and so they will not be available in App Store for iTab (though they are for iPhone).

There is no information yet on whether iBooks will let you import anything you didn't buy on their store, but since there's no program like iTunes for that, I expect there won't be any way.

So, in short, I expect only eBooks bought on iBooks store will work on iPad.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I disagree with this analysis.

Wednesday's announcement was that the iPad will run ALL iPhone apps available from Apple, within that set of applications is
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks...oad-reader.asp
(look closely and you can see the reference to "Available on the iPhone App Store")

Does anyone reading this forum have a reference to where it was stated that only SOME of the iPhone apps will run on the iPad?
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
All reader apps capable of reading ebooks are in direct competition with iBooks, and so they will not be available in App Store for iTab (though they are for iPhone).

There is no information yet on whether iBooks will let you import anything you didn't buy on their store, but since there's no program like iTunes for that, I expect there won't be any way.

That's quite a statement to make. You have no idea if Apple will dissallow any other ebook apps on the iPad. As it currently stands their App rules only apply to the iPod Touch and the iPhone, since the iPad isn't even released yet and won't be for another two months. It's pefectly possible that they will modify the rules for the iPad. They may even have a completely different set of criteria for the release of iPad apps. There are after all a whole bunch companies that will be well peeved if Apple bans some currently avilable apps from just the iPad.

The iPad is after all a very different beast really. It's less of a mobile device and more of a home use appliance. I can easily see different rules being applied.

Then of course there is the inevitable fact that you will be able to jailbreak it sooner or later anyway
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
That's quite a statement to make. You have no idea if Apple will dissallow any other ebook apps on the iPad. As it currently stands their App rules only apply to the iPod Touch and the iPhone, since the iPad isn't even released yet and won't be for another two months. It's pefectly possible that they will modify the rules for the iPad. They may even have a completely different set of criteria for the release of iPad apps. There are after all a whole bunch companies that will be well peeved if Apple bans some currently avilable apps from just the iPad.

The iPad is after all a very different beast really. It's less of a mobile device and more of a home use appliance. I can easily see different rules being applied.

Then of course there is the inevitable fact that you will be able to jailbreak it sooner or later anyway
for example the iphones are locked to one carrier the iPad is unlocked, we ALL have to be careful making assumptions.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
I disagree with this analysis.

Wednesday's announcement was that the iPad will run ALL iPhone apps available from Apple, within that set of applications is
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks...oad-reader.asp
(look closely and you can see the reference to "Available on the iPhone App Store")

Does anyone reading this forum have a reference to where it was stated that only SOME of the iPhone apps will run on the iPad?
You might want to watch the video again. They didn't say "all". They said "virtually all" and "almost all". Now that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't let folks use other reading apps. We have no way of knowing yet.

I don't have much hope, though. Since they've opted not to use Adept as the DRM, and I doubt they've managed to convince all their publishers to go DRM-free, I'm guessing we've got another walled garden.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You might want to watch the video again. They didn't say "all". They said "virtually all" and "almost all"..
In the presentation, Scott Forstall specifically says that ALL iPhone/iPod Touch apps will work on the iPad. Not saying Apple won't backtrack on that, or "clarify" it, but, he definitely says it.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

(And as I noted in another thread, Jobs specifically says he can fly from SF to Tokyo "and watch video the whole time", which is another thing people will definitely call them on when the iPad actually comes out)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
In the presentation, Scott Forstall specifically says that ALL iPhone/iPod Touch apps will work on the iPad. Not saying Apple won't backtrack on that, or "clarify" it, but, he definitely says it.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

(And as I noted in another thread, Jobs specifically says he can fly from SF to Tokyo "and watch video the whole time", which is another thing people will definitely call them on when the iPad actually comes out)
Sure, all the ones that they haven't dropped from the app store for the iPad will run.

This isn't a technical issue, it is a policy one.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well, there *are* a bunch of tech issues like GPS and Camera. But yes...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Actually, according to Adobe (http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform...oken_link.html) the ipad will use a non adobe epub drm! Thus it is to be expected that other applications which allow the reading of adobe epub will be removed...

an excerpt:

"[...]Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers.[...]"

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't understand the big upset about DRM with this device. It reads drm-free PDFs it reads drm free epub. You can convert all your books and put them on.

If you don't want to buy books from ibook don't do it. Buy them from elsewhere and use stanza. There is nothing to fear here, in fact the device is more open than a lot of other readers. I will probably continue to buy books from Amazon and convert them to epub and use on the iPad.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote