Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Today Is 1 Sep, Right?

Well, Kobo seems to have fumbled the H2O pre-orders. I do believe today is 1 September, and here in the U.S. it doesn't seem possible to pre-order the Aura H2O, even though the reader specific page clearly states "Available for pre-order September 1st". When i click on the "Retailers" link, I am taken to a "Coming Soon" blue circle.

It's pathetic that they are making such a splash (pun intended) with this new device, yet they can't find a way to not screw up the pre-order process. I realize it's a holiday here, but does that mean they can't accept pre-orders automatically via a web-ordering system? Sometimes I wonder how this company manages to stay in business....

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurah2o#retailers
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Same in the UK.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't believe that people are THAT concerned that they can't order a device.. Sigh... It's not as if this is being sold as a limited edition or anything! Relax, enjoy the day, and order when you can.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that it's only 9:37am, maybe the people who need to enable the pre-order are not yet at work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't believe that people are THAT concerned that they can't order a device.. Sigh... It's not as if this is being sold as a limited edition or anything! Relax, enjoy the day, and order when you can.
It has nothing to do with not being able to pre-order the device, and everything to do with completely inept management and execution at Kobo. If you tell the world that new product will be available for pre-order on X day, and then it's not, that doesn't exactly tell a good story about your committment to your customers and your brand. It's marketing 101.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It doesn't specifically say 2014.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It doesn't say which time. If it's available at 23:59, local time at Baker Island, it's still technically correct
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Sept. 1 is all day long - 24 hours - so it might be at the very last second of the day that the pre-order will be available.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Probably another web site software SNAFU.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Well, Kobo seems to have fumbled the H2O pre-orders. I do believe today is 1 September, and here in the U.S. it doesn't seem possible to pre-order the Aura H2O, even though the reader specific page clearly states "Available for pre-order September 1st". When i click on the "Retailers" link, I am taken to a "Coming Soon" blue circle.

It's pathetic that they are making such a splash (pun intended) with this new device, yet they can't find a way to not screw up the pre-order process. I realize it's a holiday here, but does that mean they can't accept pre-orders automatically via a web-ordering system? Sometimes I wonder how this company manages to stay in business....

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurah2o#retailers
Hmmm.... 7:30AM here on Sept 1st and when I go to the http://www.kobo.com/devices/kobo-aurah2o.html, it says pre-order now. Clicking on the pre-order now button takes me to the checkout with an Aura H2O in the cart. See attached image.

Oddly, the link you posted says preorders will be available Sept. 2nd. Perhaps the original Sept. 1st date being a stat holiday? Also see attached image. BTW, as mentioned in a previous message, Chapters/Indigo were accepting pre-orders on or before August 27th.

The Aura H2O will not be available at retailers until Sept. 29th at the earliest so there won't be a list of retailers with availability.

message edited about 1 minute after posting when I received a PM suggesting that I could not have seen what I saw on the Kobo site.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraH2O_checkout.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	127624   Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraH2O_preorder.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	127625  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-01-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added images
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One has to love though the wording (and the footnote)
Quote:
Kobo Aura H2O is the first premium eReader that truly allows for worry-free eReading because of its waterproof* and dustproof design. It features an impressive extra-large, no-glare 6.8” Carta E Ink touchscreen that reads like print on paper – even in direct sunlight. Eyestrain is minimized in any light with the fully adjustable ComfortLight directing light at the page, not your eyes. Plus, with ClarityScreen+, Kobo Aura H2O provides a high definition reading experience, with crisp, clear text for easy and enjoyable reading.

* Price subject to tax and fees.
Not sure how the Price subject to applies to the waterproofing!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I was tempted by the h2o but definitely not at their advertised price of £179.99.

Could probably have convinced myself at £140 but over £200 after getting a cover seems a little excessive to me...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
It has nothing to do with not being able to pre-order the device, and everything to do with completely inept management and execution at Kobo. If you tell the world that new product will be available for pre-order on X day, and then it's not, that doesn't exactly tell a good story about your committment to your customers and your brand. It's marketing 101.
I was able to pre-order the Aura H2O prior to Sept. 1st from a Canadian retailer. I also went to Kobo's page at 7:30AM (PDT) Sept 1st so 10:30AM in Toronto and the pre-order button was live. No list of retailers admittedly. OTOH, a quick check of Future Shop, Best Buy and a couple of others gave me links to pre-order on 3 of the 4 sites.

Personally, I see a large difference between being able to pre-order from Kobo's website which is happening and the original complaint that there was no list of retailers for a product that is not shipping.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-01-2014 at 11:04 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Chapters has indeed been accepting pre-orders for the last few days and they do ship internationally.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I was tempted by the h2o but definitely not at their advertised price of £179.99.

Could probably have convinced myself at £140 but over £200 after getting a cover seems a little excessive to me...
Ouch, on the compare devices page (http://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders) it shows up as £139.99, but £179.99, that can't be right? £40 more than the previous model was sold for at launch. Also, if it's $180 in Canada, that's nowhere near £180 even with taxes?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote