Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Intentional simplification. I realize it is mounted as a tmpfs device. But for most non-linux users, it "acts" like a RAMdisk, in that you can store temporary files in it that go away on reboot, and with no swap, it exists only in RAM. In general (not necessarily the "linux way") what I just described IS a RAMdisk (from a common layman's perspective.)

Buzzwords like "tmpFS" and deep linux technical details are just noise to most "ordinary" people, but they are powerful terminology for linux geeks. It depends on who your audience is. This is a kindle developer's forum, not so much a linux developer's forum (but "user level" linux knowledge helps, unless you want to write native mode apps that also need deeper linux developer's knowledge).
Or you have problems making your chroot'd system work.
The people who are not interested are free to ignore the details.
(Like the people who ignore our indexed content.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or you have problems making your chroot'd system work.
The people who are not interested are free to ignore the details.
(Like the people who ignore our indexed content.)
MY chrooted system worked fine on my K3 (including my tmpFS mounts). What does simply defining a RAMdisk as "files stored in directories that exist in RAM" have to do with "problems making YOUR chroot'd system work"? I can't find mention of chroot anywhere in the previous posts in this thread. In my experience, files stored in /tmp/ ARE stored in RAM (without delving into deep technical implementation details). I am more than a little confused about what your recent posts have to do with this thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-29-2012 at 08:29 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
MY chrooted system worked fine on my K3 (including my tmpFS mounts).
Mine works just fine on my NSLU-2 with only 32Mbyte of ram also.

But there is a thread here where the O.P. has problems which have not yet been solved but that I think are related to this background knowledge.

If you want to take the information as a personal criticism, your as free to do that as you are to ignore the post. Your choice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote