Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
I am not prepared to be gouged on price because I want the product - that would be silly. Uness there is an explanation that makes the pricing policy fair, such as the VAT thing, then there is a massive arbitrage opportunityfor someone in the states to buy these things from bookeen and then sell them on ebay to people like me and I will just wait to get a fair price.

Of course a prompt response to my email enquiry would help a lot...
If you bought the Gen3 from someone in the US, you'd at the very least have to pay for shipping from France to the US and from the US to AU. So basically, it would not really save you anything. Plus nobody on ebay would selling for just $350. So the only choice you have is to do what you are doing and try to get a hold of them and get it sorted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
I emailed them at 7.46pm on Sunday night local time and its now Tuesday 10.46am local time and as yet there is no reply.

I am not prepared to be gouged on price because I want the product - that would be silly. Uness there is an explanation that makes the pricing policy fair, such as the VAT thing, then there is a massive arbitrage opportunityfor someone in the states to buy these things from bookeen and then sell them on ebay to people like me and I will just wait to get a fair price.

Of course a prompt response to my email enquiry would help a lot...

I'm in the same situation.
I emailed them on Sunday, and I'm still awaiting their response. I supose it's normal, I'll give them 36h.
But you should get an answer in the next 15h hours.

I've also asked them to clear things up, given that by law the minimum legal warranty for consumer goods it's 2 years.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you bought the Gen3 from someone in the US, you'd at the very least have to pay for shipping from France to the US and from the US to AU. So basically, it would not really save you anything. Plus nobody on ebay would selling for just $350. So the only choice you have is to do what you are doing and try to get a hold of them and get it sorted.
Not really - if I use bongous.com's personal shopper service to buy the gen3 from bookeen in US dollars and have it shipped to the US and then forwarded to Australia I STILL come out 13USD or 9 euros ahead of buying it directly from Bookeen even with double shipping and the charge for the personal shopper service. And that assumes the parcel weighs 1kg (if its 2lbs or less then I am 21USD ahead).
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
I emailed them on Sunday, and I'm still awaiting their response. I supose it's normal, I'll give them 36h.

I've also asked them to clear things up, given that by law the minimum legal warranty for consumer goods it's 2 years.
I was reading the FAQs on their website and found a second address - shop@bookeen.com as opposed to contact@bookeen.com. I forwarded my first email to the second address and asked which was correct and requested a read receipt. The read receipt came 12 minutes after I sent it but so far no actual response to the email itself.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony Reader PRS-500 is less then 2 pounds and it includes the AC Adaptor. So I ould think the Gen3 is less then 2 pounds as well for the non-deluxe package.
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
and that's my point - if its 295 euro without VAT added then I am paying US$75 MORE than US customers which is not a fair pricing policy.
Presumably they've set the prices according to what they feel is best suited to each market and, like it or not, consumer electronics have historically been priced more cheaply in the US than elsewhere.

A company can set whatever price it wants - you have the choice as to whether or not to do business with them. Personally I think the product is worth the price, and have ordered one. If you feel otherwise, don't buy it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #22
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Teleread has an article on this. Check under "Currency Issues" http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=7427
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably they've set the prices according to what they feel is best suited to each market and, like it or not, consumer electronics have historically been priced more cheaply in the US than elsewhere.

A company can set whatever price it wants - you have the choice as to whether or not to do business with them. Personally I think the product is worth the price, and have ordered one. If you feel otherwise, don't buy it.
But, Bookeen has set a price and they would get that price at less of a cost to the consumer. So I don't see any problem paying in whatever conversion rate is best for the consumer as long as Booken gets the money it has asked. If paying in US Dollars is cheaper for the consumer due to the exchange rate, then I don't see why not.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The price is different for different countries. It is not a question of exchange rate. Read the Teleread blog entry.

Regarding the EU directive mentioned in the blog entry. I thought this was three years nowaday (changed from two years a couple of years ago). Is my impression of this wrong?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post

So you want it at the US price with a free 2 year warranty. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

DaleDe is Bookeen is trying to be fair, then they'll have the same price all over and the same Warranty.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #27
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So you want it at the US price with a free 2 year warranty. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Dale
Oh not at all, I have no problem with their pricing. (what made you think so?)
I'm ready buy.
I don't really care at all, a 2 year warranty is mandatory in the EU (for consumers). Whatever they say, I can assure you that.
(but let's not confuse legal warranty with commercial warranty)

In a nutshell, if all I get is 1 year and on top of that I have to pay for shipping to France for repairs no matter where I buy it, ...then I'll buy it in the US.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DaleDe is Bookeen is trying to be fair, then they'll have the same price all over and the same Warranty.
Right now the warranty is different, VAT is different, US taxes are not in the price, and the current exchange rate on US dollars is depressed and is never constant compared to Euro's. I think Bookeen has to factor in a lot of stuff to compute the selling price since they can't change it daily as the exchange rates change. I do believe the tack they have taken is a good first cut but I am still looking around for myself.

Dale
Old 10-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But can't Bookeen give the price in Euros and US dollars and let the person paying get the money to Bookeen given what exchange rate works best for the purchaser?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But can't Bookeen give the price in Euros and US dollars and let the person paying get the money to Bookeen given what exchange rate works best for the purchaser?
Only if the terms are the same. Warranty costs definitely impact the cost of doing business. Why limit to Euros and dollars? They could price in all know currencies I suppose. I think they are anticipating the demand and targeting the bigger markets without regard to onesy and twosy business at this point and they seem to be overwhelmed at the moment and not hungry to make sales.

Dale