Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #61
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I have had my Vox for about 24 hours now and I am really starting to love it. I am having one slight problem however, and I am wondering if others are having this problem, if it is me, or if I should return for a new one.

I am touching the top button briefly to turn off the screen whenever I'm about to put it down. Sometimes, when I come back to it, a quick tap of the top button will bring me to the unlock screen. Other times though (about 50% of the time) I have to do a forced reset (hold down the button for around 10 seconds then another quicker top button tap) to turn the Vox back on. Unless I do this forced reset, the system won't turn back on.

Any ideas? Should I return it for another one?
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #62
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I have had my Vox for about 24 hours now and I am really starting to love it. I am having one slight problem however, and I am wondering if others are having this problem, if it is me, or if I should return for a new one.

I am touching the top button briefly to turn off the screen whenever I'm about to put it down. Sometimes, when I come back to it, a quick tap of the top button will bring me to the unlock screen. Other times though (about 50% of the time) I have to do a forced reset (hold down the button for around 10 seconds then another quicker top button tap) to turn the Vox back on. Unless I do this forced reset, the system won't turn back on.

Mine hasn't done that but I have only been playing with it today. Is the system stock or have you loaded any other apps? You might want to try a factory reset first and see if it does it when you are using it with stock settings.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #63
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post

I've had this happen fairly frequently. Fortunately, a reboot is pretty fast.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #64
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've had this happen fairly frequently. Fortunately, a reboot is pretty fast.
Interesting. Rebooting may be fast, but it is still annoying. It is an extra 2 minutes rebooting and then asking my wifi to turn on again.

That being said, if I knew this was simply a bug that could be fixed in an upcoming update, I wouldn't really be concerned. I just don't want to deal with this for the entire life of my Vox..
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #65
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
In my case, it may be due to some app running near 100% CPU in the background, delaying any response. I've been installing apps like mad, and some, like Museek/JukeFox, take forever to initially index. After a reboot, the Vox is more responsive again and tends not to have issues waking up when I press the power button.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #66
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
In my case, it may be due to some app running near 100% CPU in the background, delaying any response. I've been installing apps like mad, and some, like Museek/JukeFox, take forever to initially index. After a reboot, the Vox is more responsive again and tends not to have issues waking up when I press the power button.
Great info. This is what I was trying to get at in my previous post. This is not a Touch with a locked down system. You can now have thousands of different programs installed on these devices. Just because you have an issue doesn't mean it is the hardware. It can be Android, Kobo's software, the apps you have added or a combination of them. I had an android phone before my Windows phone and instability and reboots were fairly common. Most of the time it was traced back to some app that I loaded doing something funky.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #67
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
I'm still not sure how to transfer books (PDFs) from my computer onto my Kobo though. I do have MobilePDF.
Cypherslock, I just plugged it into my computer, it brought up a 'removable drive' window, showing files such as DOWNLOADS and DCIM. I did a simple drag and drop, photos to DCIM, PDF magazies to DOWNLOAD. Dead easy. And fast!

Now I have 5 of my (free) photography magazines (from http://www.photographybb.com/magazine/download/ ) and one of my favourite photo galleries ready to access.

Both look gorgeous on the Vox. I'm happy! $200 well-spent so far!

I had to install the MobilePDFViewer app, but when I opened it, my magazines were there waiting! My photos were in my Gallery.

C.
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #68
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Has anyone been able to install adobe's flash or pdf reader? every time I try from the site I get "search null nothing found." that and I'm still having troubles playing youtube. It worked a bit tonight at my folks but then I tried again, same issue. Not a HUGE deal. I would dearly love to be able to download the full user guide. I still love this thing though. I think my wife wants one!
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #69
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to get and install the kindle app? I'm new to android but so far love my Vox!

EDIT:

So I downloaded the slideme store and the kindle app. Logged into the kindle app. It retrieved my archieved items, and tells me to view select from the menu...but I don't see a menu??
Cypherslock, press the middle icon on the bottom of the Vox for the menu.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #70
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Figured out the Kindle app, thanks. Just took a little experimentation. Still struggling with the other mentioned stuff. Anyone know of a better pdf reader than mobilepdf?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #71
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknirvana View Post
Apparently Google is quite strict with what devices they let use the Android Market, I thinks its requires at least a camera in order to qualify (correct me if i'm wrong)
No, it doesn't. There's loads of Android devices w/o cameras that have the Android Market. What it does require is a license agreement with Google as the Market is not open source.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #72
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
As a few people have indicated, as an ebook reader (as opposed to a tablet) it does the job very well - particularly if all your books are from Kobo's store. As a tablet, it is rather disappointing, which is why I also have my iPad. I do like reading in bed with the Vox (last night was the first) because of the more comfortable size. Today I will see how reading in sunlight goes on the Vox. I can see many situations where I leave my iPad at home and take the Vox, but not for anything other than reading books.

While I am at it, I am trying to find an easy way of getting my books off Dropbox and into a reader (not DRM books) and from what I have found, fbreader appears to do best and automatically accepting books downloaded through Dropbox (without having to take the extra steps of importing the books after exporting them from Dropbox).

I had used Kindle as my dedicated ebook app but on the Vox, I have yet to find a way of getting dropbox books detected when they are exported into the Kindle folder. A very early version of the Kindle android app would detect them but not the latest version. If anyone knows a workaround for this, I would love to hear it. Thanks!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #73
paintedblack888
paintedblack888 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Ipad, Ipod, Iphone
Just got mine today...I'm excited coz finally i can put my colored comics in it. But i was devastated It doesnt support .cbz and .cbr files YET. Guess i have to wait for that it sucks!
paintedblack888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #74
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedblack888 View Post
Just got mine today...I'm excited coz finally i can put my colored comics in it. But i was devastated It doesnt support .cbz and .cbr files YET. Guess i have to wait for that it sucks!
Nope. Kobo's app doesn't support CBZ and CBR, but any other decent Android comic viewer does.

Google "Perfect Viewer" - works great, and it's free. I've posted about it in other threads.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #75
paintedblack888
paintedblack888 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Ipad, Ipod, Iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Nope. Kobo's app doesn't support CBZ and CBR, but any other decent Android comic viewer does.

Google "Perfect Viewer" - works great, and it's free. I've posted about it in other threads.
thanks so much! will try it out!
paintedblack888 is offline   Reply With Quote