Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Susan in Houston
Susan in Houston is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Calibre, Kindlebooks and Converting, Help Please

I have Calibre installed and like it very much. I would like to purchase some Kindlebooks with an Amazon gift card to convert and read on my Nook, but can't figure out how to do it. I tried to purchase a book, but Amazon requires that I have a registered device and since I have a Nook, obviously I do not have one. Has anyone successfully done this and how? I am familiar with Fictionwise and B&N downloading.

Any help would be appreciated!
Susan in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac.

Some Kindle books are DRM free, but there is no easy way to find them. So most likely you will have to strip the DRM, which is in the US is very probably legal for ebooks you bought for the purpose of reading on a device you own. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for a summary of DRM removal options. On a PC, the available 3rd party plugins for Calibre that strip DRM are your best bet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Hi, Susan.

All you need to do is:

1. Download Kindle for PC (K4PC) from this page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...Id=1000493771#

2. Buy your book, telling it to download to your Kindle for PC.

3. On your computer, look in your "My Documents" folder for a new directory, called
"My Kindle Content."
This is where K4PC puts the books you buy for it. (They'll have a .AZW, AZW1, or TPZ extension. Ignore the .mbp files.)

Now, you can drag that file (book) into calibre.

To read it on your Nook, you must convert it to ePub, and if the book has DRM, you will need to strip the DRM first. (If the book won't open in calibre's reader, it has DRM).

I can't give instructions on how to to strip it, but googling should lead you to a package of Tools, which include a mobi K4PC de-drm plugin you can install in calibre ... follow the easy instructions to use.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote