Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
awx
Connoisseur
awx is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS-600
Thanks for the feedback. I'm now working to improve the drag-and-drop feature to allow moving many items at once. It's about 80% done so hopefully a new version will be released a week from now.

I'd still really like to hear feedback on the Xhtml import feature. I'm especially curious if anyone has whitespace problems with the imported text (that is, either missing spaces or too many spaces. After getting drag-and-drop working, I'll start improving the import feature to support other tags and attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I would have much more liked a downloadable version from sourceforge...
OK, I'll upload the setup.exe to the sourceforge servers. If that still won't make some people happy, then please speak up.

Quote:
Could you please indicate if bug reports or feature requests could be best placed here or on sourceforge?
For the time being, please post bug reports here. An incomplete list of bugs that I know about can be viewed here:
Svn to-do list

Quote:
1. Language metadata is currently restricted to English, German, French and Swedish. Since there are more languages , could you please either add them (for me personally dutch) or tell us how to add them ourselves?
The languages are stored in an Xml file inside the exe with this format:
Code:
  <language>
    <code>fr</code>
    <desc xml:lang="en-US">French</desc>
  </language>
  <language>
    <code>en-UK</code>
    <desc xml:lang="en-US">English (United Kingdom)</desc>
  </language>
I could add the ability for users to add their own languages but it's probably easier if someone would just make a complete list and send it to me.

Quote:
2. Cover page, is this just an image or via svg?
Right now it is just a jpg image. I have read Adobe's technote about creating svg cover pages and also posts on this forum where people say svg in epub isn't reliable. Regardless, svg should come when gif and png image formats are added.

Quote:
3. import of an epub to make quick edits?
Now that an xhtml import framework is in place, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this.

Quote:
4. Save in-between work?
Of course that is very important but it will be one of the last major pieces to be added. This is because I don't want to create the file format now only to be forced to change it once another feature is added.

Last edited by awx; 03-11-2010 at 04:46 AM.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
This *should* be the complete language list. Perhaps someone else could counter-check?

languages.xml

Will see if I have time to test the xhtml import tonight. Will keep you posted.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
awx
Connoisseur

That's great. The only problem is the description language attribute should be "en-US". Do you have any easy way to change those?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have added the new original version (a small typo) and a version with what I think you want.

To be honest, I don't understand why. Why should everything be <desc xml:lang="en-US">? Isn't the purpose to support different languages and typesets? In this way I think you are restricting several typographic possibilities in foreign languages. Or I just misinterpret the xml:lang...

languages.xml
languages2.xml
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
awx
Connoisseur

You are misinterpreting this. The xml:lang describes what language the desc is written in. This allows multiple language descriptions to be added. Such as:

Code:
<language>
    <code>sv</code>
    <desc xml:lang="en-US">Swedish</desc>
    <desc xml:lang="sv">Svenska</desc>
  </language>
Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard

Ok, so the second file is what you need, right?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
awx
Connoisseur

Yes, and it's been imported and will appear in the next update. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Have downloaded the source from SourceForge and I a couple of minor comments.
  • The solution asks for a password for the sorceforge certificate. Perhaps you should add a second solution so that the project compiles without the need for a certificate.
  • .user files are normally svn:ignore[d] (epubhub.csproj.user is in the repository)
  • The zipstorer class should be included as an external

Last edited by JayCeeEll; 03-15-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added third bullet point
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
awx
Connoisseur

OK, I've excluded the .user file.

You can simply create your own pfx file to overwrite the sourceforge one. Unless there is some pressing need, I'm not going to try to maintain two parallel solutions that differ only by this file. VS includes a button to automatically generate this file, doesn't it?

As for separating zipstorer, what is your reasoning behind this? I do not wish to for several reasons. I prefer a single exe file with no file dependencies if it is possible. And when VS 2010 ships, I will likely have to switch back to the C# Express version as I no longer have an MSDN subscription. If I remember correctly, in the Express editions it's easier to manage the solution with a single project for some reason (perhaps I'm making this up?).
Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #25
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
As for separating zipstorer, what is your reasoning behind this?
I don't mean as a seperate file, but the way most people seem to organise their projects is:

Code:
Trunk
    Externals    
    Project
or
Trunk
    Project
        Externals
Where the svn property of the Externals folder would be "svn:external -rnnn https://zipstorer.svn.codeplex.com/svn zipstorer" (nnn is the version of the zipstorer codebase) This enables you to bring in a specific version of an external project, which is very useful when you want to regression test.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
awx
Connoisseur

Wouldn't VS go nuts if a new version of the external project had a different file layout than the existing one?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur

I think the point is moot, because I have just checked and the zipstorer project doesn't seem to support svn output. (It is probably OTT for 1 .cs file anyway.)

However, the reason for using a specific version (-rnnn) in the externals property is to ensure that no surprises occur. But when an external project has new features you want to use, you can just amend the revision number and then run all your unit test and integration tests against the new code, before consuming the new features.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
OK, I'll upload the setup.exe to the sourceforge servers. If that still won't make some people happy, then please speak up.
I'd be much happier with a portable installation, myself.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #29
awx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I'd be much happier with a portable installation, myself.
Understood. A zip file containing the ePubHub.exe app will come with the first release that could be considered "feature complete". It won't be an installer though, just the app.

Last edited by awx; 03-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #30
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Understood. A zip file containing the ePubHub.exe app will come with the first release that could be considered "feature complete". It won't be an installer though, just the app.
Even better. Was only using installation in the sense that some portable apps use appdata for profile settings.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote