Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
inexpensive Sony Reader case

I have an organizer that I don't use, so I am going to convert it to use as a case for my Sony Reader.

If you look at the pictures, you'll see that it is a simple black leather case and that I have already ripped out the rings already. I had to remove them, otherwise there wouldn't be enough room for the Reader.

I have finished the case. I decided to use a heavy duty elastic strap I found in the sewing dep't. at Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1123.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	4683   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1116.JPG
Views:	858
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	4684  

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-02-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The clip fastener in the original jacket is attached with double stick tape at the bottom and is again sandwiched between the two layers of material with double sticky tape. When you cut out the clip you can peel those material sheets and then clean off the glue with solvent. This clip is made of polyethylene, it will resist most solvents with no damage.

Warning
When you glue the clip onto something else, make sure it is a flexible material
I've learned the hard way. I glued mine to a piece of MDF and clipped my reader to it. Everything went fine until I tried to remove it. The half part of the clip on the reader broke off. My blood spun two cycles in a flash when I saw the exposed green of the cicuits in the gaping hole on the back of the reader. Fortunately I was able to epoxy glue the clip back. Now I can't use jackets anymore because that will break the clip off again.

What happens is that this external clip is flexible and has some 'give' when you pry the jacket off. If you apply it to a hard surface, you deprive it of its properties and it transfers the stresses back to the other part on the reader. SNAP! You see it fly off and stand there like an idiot! Not about to do that again.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Ouch yvan!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
Ouch yvan!
Thanks for your consideration LG!

Now I use this little box all the time. It's great to carry it in to in a bleakly light waiting room. This one is much smaller than its predecessor but the lighting is not as adequate.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I like the size of that one! My biggest... complaint I guess, of your original was the extra inches it added.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*bump*
Old 08-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I have been having the oddest experience with the new case. It's something that has never happened with an electronic device before, only with a book.

Lately I've been so engrossed in an ebook that I stop being aware of my surroundings. It's happened with several different ebooks. I think my new case comes close to replicating the experience of reading a leather bound hard back book.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Ripping out the rings....

Your "new" Sony Reader case looks great!

I have a similar organizer that I'd like use for my reader. You mention "ripping out the rings". How did you do it without damaging the rest of the organizer case? The loose-leaf ring assembly in mine is held in solidly by 2 rivets. I was planning to bend back the covers and cut the rivets with a hacksaw, but if there's an easier way, I'm all for that.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Your "new" Sony Reader case looks great!

I have a similar organizer that I'd like use for my reader. You mention "ripping out the rings". How did you do it without damaging the rest of the organizer case? The loose-leaf ring assembly in mine is held in solidly by 2 rivets. I was planning to bend back the covers and cut the rivets with a hacksaw, but if there's an easier way, I'm all for that.
I just yanked on it and it came out. One rivet came out clean, and left a nice little hole. The other tore the cloth liner. I think the liner was caught in that rivet. The damage was minimal.

If you are careful about pulling on it, then you should be able to remove it with little or no damage.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Take a drill bit the size of the rivet core and chuck it in a drill. Lay the jacket side flat on a piece of scrap and slowly drill from the inside out. The head will pop right out and climb up the bit's shaft, then you can just pull on the rivet from the exterior. No need to risk or tear anything. Easy and smooth.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Perfect!

The drill method worked brilliantly -- the ring assembly popped right out without any damage whatsoever. Thank you for the suggestion, yvanleterrible. I plan to add some thin foam padding to the case to finish it, and my Reader will be ready to travel.

For anyone who may be interested, the organizer is a Mead/Cambridge model 47870M. It's leather-look vinyl with a full 3-side zipper and has interior dimensions of 5.25" W x 7.25" H x 1" D (without the loose-leaf ring assembly), a nearly perfect fit for the Sony Reader with its cover and some protective padding. I bought it at a closeout/discount store for $3.99. With all the stores full of back-to-school supplies, it or something like it shouldn't be hard to find.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
srinivasvaradar
srinivasvaradar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I took a old DVD case, ground out the insides except for the tabs that snap on close and made a getto case out of it. I will post a picture if anyone is interested.
srinivasvaradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasvaradar View Post
I took a old DVD case, ground out the insides except for the tabs that snap on close and made a getto case out of it. I will post a picture if anyone is interested.
Please do I'm curious.

What movie picture did you put on the cover?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I decided to use a heavy duty elastic strap I found in the sewing dep't. at Walmart.
Nate, what did you use to attach the elastic to the organizer?
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjew View Post
Nate, what did you use to attach the elastic to the organizer?
Just ordinary thread.