Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Saving paper...

I know this is nothing new, but I realized yesterday when I was cleaning my studio that I am - finally - creeping up on the paperless office. Since I bought my Kindle late last year (K1, obviously), I've started to send .doc files to it instead of printing them out.

My pile of 'already read/ready to recycle' papers has dwindled since my purchase of the Kindle. I love that I can send docs to it via email, though I'd say about half the time I just copy to the SD card.

Now if there was a larger-screened Kindle that I could send PDFs to, I think my printouts would dwindle to nearly nothing.

Oh, for folders! I think I'd send even more to it, but the Home page(s) mess would be too confusing.

Anyone else using less paper because of their Kindle? (Or any ebook reader that accepts doc files.)
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yes. Some of the stuff I read for work really needs to be printed or read on a large screen, but I can read a fair amount on the Kindle. I'm hoping for the rumored large-screen Kindle in the fall or winter. There are other companies talking about large-screen products, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm dragging my office into the paperless future with them kicking and screaming, but it's finally catching on. It took FOREVER for them to get comfortable with looking at patient documents electronically, but now they are beginning to climb on board. They can do most things on their PDA's, and most everything since 1999 is online in the hosp intranet. After scanning them into the system, we sent decades of patient charts to a warehouse across town, where they will quietly deteriorate into dust.

I haven't convinced them that the old paper can be destroyed yet, but still, baby steps, baby steps ...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Ever since I got my PRS505 September 2007, I rarely used my printer. Couple of days ago, I noticed that the printer does not work any more probably due to the lack of usage.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've used my nice new printer a whole 3 times since I got it last fall. Gutenberg would be so disappointed. Or thrilled, seeing as he was all about technology advancing reading. Hmmm... maybe Marc or Steve can ask him at the next transdimensional party?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Ever since I got my PRS505 September 2007, I rarely used my printer. Couple of days ago, I noticed that the printer does not work any more probably due to the lack of usage.
Same here.. just went to print some taxes fafsa stuff and the printer didn't draw the paper in. Had to open it and shake out the dust.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Had to open it and shake out the dust.
BOb
Ah, thanks for the idea and I will try that myself. I was on the verge of throwing it away.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
That is truly awesome. I'm not even CLOSE to the paperless office. But I hope to be there soon one day. I'm looking at a "to be filed" stack a half a foot high.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've used my nice new printer a whole 3 times since I got it last fall.
Please don't forget to dust the printer sometimes to save some panic later .
Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I have a large format printer that I keep covered with a towel since I don't use it all that often, but my smaller inkjet... not so happy. I think it's a goner because it spits out nearly blank pages even with new carts.

The problem for me is that I use my cheapie laser printer for when I do print, and don't print many docs (or pics) that use color.

I have a lot of gadgets, but the Kindle surprised me the most with how much I use it. A large format one would probably never leave my hands. Maybe one of those baby carriers that hold it close.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote