Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
healinggreen
healinggreen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you think the iPad Pro hurts the eyes more than usual?

I've played on the iPad 3, iPad Air, but I didn't notice this problem. On the iPad Pro, I feel like my eyes become rather sensitive to light and a little blurry after normal usage. If I stop using it, my eyes would become normal again after a day or so. But now I hesitate to use the iPad Pro since I don't know why it's hurting my eyes.
healinggreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
No, I use my iPad Pro for most of my reading and haven't had any problems.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by healinggreen View Post
I've played on the iPad 3, iPad Air, but I didn't notice this problem. On the iPad Pro, I feel like my eyes become rather sensitive to light and a little blurry after normal usage. If I stop using it, my eyes would become normal again after a day or so. But now I hesitate to use the iPad Pro since I don't know why it's hurting my eyes.
I wonder if perhaps you have the warmth/coolness of the screen set differently on the Pro than what you were used to with the other iPads. I can tell a huge difference on any tablet in darker locations when the screen is to cool, that is shifted toward the blue side of the color spectrum. Blue shifted screens make my eyes strain quite a bit when using them in low light conditions. Turning up the warmth, that is shifting towards the red side of the color spectrum, helps considerably. Even though what I described here applies to using the screens in low light conditions, perhaps the Pro is shifted more toward the blue side of the color spectrum than the other iPads you have used. You might try adjusting the warmth.

Another possibility is how much of the color spectrum the Pro can display. I know my older iPad Mini 2 does not show as many colors as the newer models like the Pro. So perhaps some of the colors the Pro can display were not available on the older iPads you used and somehow those colors are messing with your vision.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I thought that the iPad Pro (well, the 9.7 version, anyway) had a display that was by default warmer, less blue, than that of my iPad Air 2. That was one of the reasons I was wondering if I should upgrade (I haven't so far). The Pro 9.7 was supposed to be easier on the eyes. Maybe I misunderstood. Or maybe healinggreen is talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Actually quite the contrary. I can read much longer and without problem on my iPad pro due to its special lighting than I could on my iPad air.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Actually quite the contrary. I can read much longer and without problem on my iPad pro due to its special lighting than I could on my iPad air.
Thanks for confirming my impression!

Edit: You've got me thinking about an upgrade again!

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #7
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Air 2 side by side. The true tone display of the iPad Pro, when enabled, makes reading much more comfortable than iPad Air 2. I have yellowish light in my bedroom. The display automatically turn yellowish to match the lightning of my room. A very useful feature from Apple.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
healinggreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder if perhaps you have the warmth/coolness of the screen set differently on the Pro than what you were used to with the other iPads. I can tell a huge difference on any tablet in darker locations when the screen is to cool, that is shifted toward the blue side of the color spectrum. Blue shifted screens make my eyes strain quite a bit when using them in low light conditions. Turning up the warmth, that is shifting towards the red side of the color spectrum, helps considerably. Even though what I described here applies to using the screens in low light conditions, perhaps the Pro is shifted more toward the blue side of the color spectrum than the other iPads you have used. You might try adjusting the warmth.

Another possibility is how much of the color spectrum the Pro can display. I know my older iPad Mini 2 does not show as many colors as the newer models like the Pro. So perhaps some of the colors the Pro can display were not available on the older iPads you used and somehow those colors are messing with your vision.
Thanks for your help. I tried adjusting the warmth/cool contrast, but it's not helping. I also tried adjusting the brightness. It may have been too bright before. But I still feel the eye strain after the new adjustments. It feels like the colors are too sharp or something. I don't know. It could be the screen protector I'm using on it, but without one, the Pro attracts too many fingerprints too soon. Maybe I need an anti-glare screen protector but those are grainy. I'm just going to put it away for a while and maybe try it again later.

I can't do any reading on the iPads. I did once a long time ago and after finishing one pdf file, it almost made me sick afterwards. So I don't read on those things anymore. Mostly I use it for games I read on my Kindle.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
healinggreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I have iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Air 2 side by side. The true tone display of the iPad Pro, when enabled, makes reading much more comfortable than iPad Air 2. I have yellowish light in my bedroom. The display automatically turn yellowish to match the lightning of my room. A very useful feature from Apple.
I really think this is subjective. At first I thought I liked it too, but after using the true tone display for a while, I realized I didn't like it.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
healinggreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I thought that the iPad Pro (well, the 9.7 version, anyway) had a display that was by default warmer, less blue, than that of my iPad Air 2. That was one of the reasons I was wondering if I should upgrade (I haven't so far). The Pro 9.7 was supposed to be easier on the eyes. Maybe I misunderstood. Or maybe healinggreen is talking about the 12.9 iPad Pro.
I was talking about the 9.7 version. Anyway, you won't know it until you try it, because I think the experience varies with people. You may be okay with it. The Pro is actually less reflective than earlier iPads too, which is supposed to make it easier on the eyes. But because it alone attracts too many fingerprints, I've had to put a screen protector on it, which introduced glare. It's one of those by Power Support, so it's supposed to be a good screen protector, right? I don't like the anti-glare ones because I've tried those and they're grainy. May have to go back to them though.

I don't know the cause of my eyes hurting, which is why I posted it here. The color spectrum that jswinden mentioned might be it. It could be the screen protector. I don't know.

What I don't like about the Pro though is the 2GB of RAM. I found this out only after I bought one. With that amount of RAM, we're probably going to need another upgrade soon.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
healinggreen

But you eventually forget about the 2GB RAM, as it doesn't interfere with current usage, and the iPad Pro without a case is truly a joy to hold in your hands. It just sucks that my eyes are hurting so now I can't use it as often as I would like.