Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone

The Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone will be released in mid-April. Its coming with the latest version of the Android operating system with loads of new add-ons specific to that device.

I went to an ATT store to check it out. The salesman ran what it would cost me with buying from ATT or Amazon. He honestly came up with a savings of $ 10 per month or $ 120 per year savings by buying from Amazon.

Thus, that is where I purchased it.

I hope to download the Amazon App Store and the Kindle Reading App to it upon arrival.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Nice looking specs on that, the display should be beautiful.

I wonder if updates have gotten any better. I know some of it is on the carriers, but Samsung wasn't great with updates when I had my Galaxy S.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
It took longer but I do have Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 on my S4. I've had it for at least two weeks. Of course my Nexus 7 got the same update months ago.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
sambo.
sambo. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone will be released in mid-April.
i'm still using an i9305 SIII and 'tis an awesome phone.

one word of caution, i've found reading a book on my S3 to be, well, not a super pleasant experience. while the screen is lovely, and i'd expect the S5's to be even better, that backlit LCD is hard on my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wonder if updates have gotten any better. I know some of it is on the carriers, but Samsung wasn't great with updates when I had my Galaxy S.
nope. My SIII has received, err, one update.

I gave up on the stock ROM and kludged CyanogenMod 10.1.3 (Android 4.2.2) onto it, something I highly recommend purely for the Privacy Guard (nuke App permissions after install).

Can't wait for CyanogenMod 11 to get a Milestone release for the i9305.
sambo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fingerprint access

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo. View Post
I gave up on the stock ROM and kludged CyanogenMod 10.1.3 (Android 4.2.2) onto it, something I highly recommend purely for the Privacy Guard (nuke App permissions after install).

Can't wait for CyanogenMod 11 to get a Milestone release for the i9305.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 opens with one's fingerprint. That seems to be the best security around.

Also, I read my eBooks now on a Paperwhite 2013 and a Kindle Fire HDX 2013. The latter has an LCD screen which has a few problems in very bright light due to reflections. I presume the Galaxy S5 will have the same problems in very bright light.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Samsung Galaxy S5 opens with one's fingerprint. That seems to be the best security around.
Not even slightly:

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabi.../d-id/1111637?
http://www.imore.com/touch-id-fooled...ed-fingerprint
https://www.google.com/search?q=ipho...erprint+fooled

It took them only a couple of days to fool (not hack, just fool) the iPhone fingerprint scanner, thus proving biometric security the farce it truly is. It can be fooled by lifting a latex print of your fingerprint, and wearing it like a glove.

Granted, that will still protect your phone from being casually accessed, but only to the extent at which you are already protected by using a basic password. So it's kind of pointless, although it does make a good media claim.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Not even slightly:

It took them only a couple of days to fool (not hack, just fool) the iPhone fingerprint scanner, thus proving biometric security the farce it truly is. It can be fooled by lifting a latex print of your fingerprint, and wearing it like a glove.

Granted, that will still protect your phone from being casually accessed, but only to the extent at which you are already protected by using a basic password. So it's kind of pointless, although it does make a good media claim.
Agreed. This just adds an additional access point - it is no more secure that it ever was.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

Thanks

Quote:
Not even slightly:

Thanks for that information. It looks like I will use a password on my Samsung Galaxy S5 when I receive it next week. I won' be using the fingerprint security.

If you want more information on the Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone to be released the end of this week, you can go here:

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-g...#axzz2yKWNhZ57

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

Galaxy S5 not the same fingerprint reader as iPhone

Quote:
Not even slightly:

Actually, the Galaxy S5 fingerprint reader does not work the same as the iPhone version. The iPhone version requires one to press one's fingerprint stationary on the phone which could be duplicated.

However, the Galaxy S5 requires a finger print swipe with up to 3 fingers. Most complaints I saw on the internet say it doesn't always work if the swipe speed or the angle is different. Thus, the defect is, not that it can easily be duplicated, but that it takes several swipes to be recognized.

That is why they allow up to 3 fingers and recommend one be by a close relative like one's wife just in case one of the finger swipe speeds and angles cannot be duplicated.

This one will be more difficult to duplicate but also may be more difficult to use. One may be able to combine a pin and finger print but I won't know for sure until I receive my unit from Amazon next week.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't fully looked into it, but I feel confident saying that biometric security is still just a gimmick, no matter who makes it.

The technology is simply not mature.

Swipe vs. press notwithstanding, I doubt the technology is sufficiently different to avoid the aforementioned exploit, which is dependent on a lack of tech skilled enough to recognize a copy of the real thing as being just a copy.

Biometric security may, and probably will, be here soon, but: not yet.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-10-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
The S5 does not have a lcd screen, but an amoled screen. The difference is that black on an amoled screen is real black, the pixels are off, no backlight. I therefore recommend setting the background to black, and the letters to whatever color you fancy, my advice would be yellowish white. On my galaxy note that gives the most pleasant reading experience with hardly strain on the eyes.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #12
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I haven't fully looked into it, but I feel confident saying that biometric security is still just a gimmick, no matter who makes it.

The technology is simply not mature.

Swipe vs. press notwithstanding, I doubt the technology is sufficiently different to avoid the aforementioned exploit, which is dependent on a lack of tech skilled enough to recognize a copy of the real thing as being just a copy.

Biometric security may, and probably will, be here soon, but: not yet.
Just as you predicted:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-sensor-hacked
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrh View Post
... and there is no lockout after failing the scan.

They reiterate how unlikely a successful hack is. Of course, whether password or biometrics a hack will most likely come from someone close by who sees your password or has access to your sleeping finger... that is the most likely source of a password hack as well. And now they can get into your PayPal too! Yay!

Helpfully, they also point out that biometric security is about swapping security for convenience. This is very true and I implore you all to remember it. This can only lessen your security, by whatever extent.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've used several devices with fingerprint scanners. They have ALL been a real pain in the ass to use, with scans failing more often than not. Unless Samsung have come up with a scanner that works a heck of a lot better than any of the devices I've used, I really wouldn't bother with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
... and there is no lockout after failing the scan.
Given the massive unreliability of every fingerprint scanner I've ever used, it would be an absolute disaster to lock out the device after a failed scan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote