Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #36751
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Rewarded myself for yard work with a viewing of Despicable Me2 - I love that movie - streaming now from Amazon.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #36752
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've read that in many Jewish households, going out for Chinese food is a tradition on Christmas Day. Makes sense. I assume it's the least crowded day of the year for all restaurants, and since many of the owners of Chinese restaurants are also from backgrounds that don't celebrate Christmas, it's just another work day for them.
It seemed to be somewhat of a tradition for Jews to go out for Chinese food on ordinary Sundays too, and the restaurants in the Jewish neighborhoods of my childhood would all do a booming business on Sunday evenings. But this begs the question;
If Jewish culture (and it IS a culture as much as it is a religion,) is 6,000 years old, and Chinese civilization is 5,000 years old, where did Jews eat for a thousand years?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #36753
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Right Now?

My stomach is processing the delicious slice of Pumpkin Pie I just enjoyed, while waiting for the free trial of some silly game from Big Fish to finish downloading, so that I can waste an hour playing said game.

I don't even know what its about. Big Fish recommended it based off of my previous trials and purchases. Hopefully its fun!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #36754
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've read that in many Jewish households, going out for Chinese food is a tradition on Christmas Day. Makes sense. I assume it's the least crowded day of the year for all restaurants, and since many of the owners of Chinese restaurants are also from backgrounds that don't celebrate Christmas, it's just another work day for them.

But getting back to the day after Thanksgiving; Chinese food would be an excellent choice except for all the leftovers we need to eat before they go bad.
My dad had a junior associate law partner who was Jewish that used to joke that pork wasn't really pork when consumed in a Chinese restaurant
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #36755
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
My dad had a junior associate law partner who was Jewish that used to joke that pork wasn't really pork when consumed in a Chinese restaurant
My grandmother kept a Kosher home, but loved what she called 'white beef' and 'sea chicken' (lobster) and would always eat them in the Chinese restaurants... and ONLY in the Chinese restaurants.

(Is it possible she knew that what was served as pork was really cat?)

I can't remember a single Sunday dinner as a child that wasn't in either a Chinese restaurant or my father's country club.

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #36756
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Doing some maintenance in Calibre. I've been lazy lately so it was time to correct tags, series names and author names, clean up and correct metadata and find covers.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #36757
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thinking about the English language...

"All the faith he had had had had no effect upon the outcome of his life."

... and the grammar is correct too! How do I explain why to my wife?

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #36758
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Thinking about the English language...

"All the faith he had had had had no effect upon the outcome of his life."

... and the grammar is correct too! How do I explain why to my wife?

Stitchawl
My Dad used to tell us one about how to get five "ands" in a row in a single sentence, and still make sense. It's about a painter who is commissioned to make a pub sign. The name of the pub is "The Pig and Whistle". The painter asks the pub landlord if there should be any hyphens in the name, to which he replies,

"Yes, put a hyphen between Pig and and, and and and Whistle."

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #36759
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm waiting for the temp to get above 32 F - so I can visit Duke Gardens without freezing off my tail feathers.
[sneaking in left over biscuits for the ducks]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #36760
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
My Dad used to tell us one about how to get five "ands" in a row in a single sentence, and still make sense. It's about a painter who is commissioned to make a pub sign. The name of the pub is "The Pig and Whistle". The painter asks the pub landlord if there should be any hyphens in the name, to which he replies,

"Yes, put a hyphen between Pig and and, and and and Whistle."

There was a 'Pig and Whistle' pub in Kyoto that was a popular watering hole for many of the ex-pat teachers and and and and and all of them were native English speakers. My wife is Japanese and doesn't speak all that much English, and certainly with little appreciation of the finer (and not so fine) points of grammar. On the other hand, the word 'ma' spoken in all five tones of the Thai language and thus having five different meanings, can be put together to mean 'the new silk is burning' with "ma ma ma ma ma!" Unless, of course, it's me trying to say it, in which case it translates to 'burning silk new new new.' I'm too deaf to deal with the tones... Nu?

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #36761
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
The panda comes into the bar eats shoots and leaves.

And in this case, it's all about punctuation.

Right now I'm listening to what might be our first major storm of the season roll in.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #36762
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm thinking it's my lucky day. I have a box of Bassets Liquorice Allsorts. My favorite is the Berrtie Basset sweet. In most boxes there's one, maybe two of them. We haven't got through the box yet and I've already found seven!

Living the high life.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #36763
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Tomorrow I can pick up my new all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax, yay. I just printed the email with the code I need and my old printer didn't only have a death rattle but there was also smoke coming out of it. Good timing.

Today, we cleaned another bit of the room (a big room) we use as storage. We found several pieces children's furniture and toys that are in too good a condition to just throw away. So we have decided to clean them and put them in our store window to sell. Whatever they make we will donate to Serious Request at the end of the year, this year they're raising money to help prevent diarrhoea.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 12-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #36764
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm thinking it's my lucky day. I have a box of Bassets Liquorice Allsorts. My favorite is the Berrtie Basset sweet. In most boxes there's one, maybe two of them. We haven't got through the box yet and I've already found seven!

Living the high life.
Eight!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #36765
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Rumpelteazer - I just picked up an on sale wireless all-in-one printer/scanner/copier also. It is suppose to be able to print from my phone also and it was cheaper to buy a new printer than to purchase the ink for the old one. (The old printer was having trouble printing well)

That was a wonderful idea to donate the money from the sale of the children's furniture and toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

Living the high life.
I've never tried, or seen these, but they seem to be liquorice and fruit?
How do you know which is the Bertie Basset one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bassett allsorts.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	116060

Right now, I'm trying to get up the energy to get dressed and go out to my parents in order to help with some stuff today.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?