Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #691
kageroh
kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Inkwells, paper, pencils, books - that kind of thing.
kageroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #692
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kageroh: Huh. So I'm assuming that's *not* a Waterstones Kindle?

Could you run ;dm in the Home page's search bar and send me the resulting log files?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #693
kageroh
kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.kageroh can teach chickens to fly.

Weird ... now it works after rebooting it twice more O_o

Last edited by kageroh; 08-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.
kageroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #694
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kageroh View Post
Weird ... now it works after rebooting it twice more O_o
Glad it's working! ....when you were rebooting, did you have the usb cable connected?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #695
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kageroh: You might be confused as to what a proper reboot is for the Kindle. (When we say reboot, we mean "Home > Settings > Restart", not "hey, let's flick the power switch!" ).

EDIT: That, or what GoSharks just mentioned. USB cables are evil!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #696
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kageroh: You might be confused as to what a proper reboot is for the Kindle. (When we say reboot, we mean "Home > Settings > Restart", not "hey, let's flick the power switch!" ).

EDIT: That, or what GoSharks just mentioned. USB cables are evil!
Thanks for a great port and for this little tidbit. I did the installs with the cable connected but after a final restart without the cable everything worked just fine.

Very cool!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #697
Marianogf777
Marianogf777 doesn't litterMarianogf777 doesn't litter

Dear NiLuJe and fellow forum users,

First of all, a big and excited handshake congratulating you for what you've done with the kindle. I'm not that big, but I do get excited and my handshakes can go wide. I tend to stick with things as they come, but the screensaver hack made my Kindle 3G experience so much the better! That until my sister sat on it for 120 km on a bumpy road. Needless to say, another Kindle had to be bought and brought asap to my itsy tiny country (Uruguay).

Anyhow, the thing is I have a Kindle Paperwhite with special offers and I've done everything that is said in the first post of this thread to put screensavers into it and I can't get it to work. I've jailbroken it, installed the python and the linkss and found 758x1024 png files... Everything step by step, but I still get the "Continue reading on your phone or tablet" screen every time I put it to sleep.

Is it because of the special offers? Because that cover "Continue reading..." is the only I see, not even the offers. Can it be something else I'm missing? Any thoughts, ideas, comments or some rope to hang myself will be more than welcome.

Thanks!!
Marianogf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #698
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Marianogf777-
I don't know about the "Continue reading..." bit, but the screensaver hack absolutely, positively and without question will NOT work on a Special Offers Kindle. You'll need to get the SO's removed by paying Amazon the $20 US or by convincing Amazon that you can't participate in the special offers in your geographic location. After that, the screensavers will work great! (kind of curious about the "Continue reading..." part --- anyone?) Good Luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #699
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Marianogf777-
I don't know about the "Continue reading..." bit, but the screensaver hack absolutely, positively and without question will NOT work on a Special Offers Kindle. You'll need to get the SO's removed by paying Amazon the $20 US or by convincing Amazon that you can't participate in the special offers in your geographic location. After that, the screensavers will work great! (kind of curious about the "Continue reading..." part --- anyone?) Good Luck!
As above - either use the "Manage my Kindle" page at the Amazon site or contact Amazon customer service to have the SO (Special Offers) removed.

About the message:
What language setting did you set your Kpw to?
That might just be a poor translation.

Next:
How are you "putting it to sleep" ?
AND
Do you have the USB cable plugged in when doing that?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #700
Marianogf777

@GoSharks
Thanks man! After an hour of googling, you've confirmed what I was thinking: special offers are killing my mojo!
Which leads us to question número 2: if I pay $20 to Amazon (where does one do that?) will I be able to see the screensavers I put? Because I bought the thingy with special offers and I don't know if there's some hard coded something somewhere that'll prevent me from the screensavers anyway.

P.S.: I'm pretty sure there's no convincing nobody about geographic disabilities :O
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #701
fenlong
fenlong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wifi
I've tried to install the screensaver hack on my Paperwhite and it's not working. I have a number of formatted images and a "random" file, but nothing changes.

I also can't seem to uninstall the hack now, in order to retry the jailbreak.

Any help?
fenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #702
Marianogf777

@knc1
I'll contact Amazon and happily pay my $20 for this!
I put it to sleep with pills cuz its been having issues at work Just kidding, there's the small button at the bottom that I press everytime a chapter is over or my girlfriend wants me to want to do something.
I have everything in English, from my PC, to my cellphone, Kindle and even facebook which I have in Pirate English! Arrrr!

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #703
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlong View Post
I also can't seem to uninstall the hack now, in order to retry the jailbreak.

Any help?
No reason to "retry the jailbreak" -
That only allows you to install our (Mobile Read) signed packages.
The **Device Jailbreak** has nothing to do with how a package works after it is installed.

Since you installed the ss package - the jailbreak is working.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #704
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Marianogf777: Like everybody said, yup, special offers ;-). There's been a couple of people living outside the US reporting that a call to Kindle CS helped ;-). And, yes, once it's done, the hack will operate properly ;-).

@fenlong: In addition to what knc1 just told you, what did you mean by "doesn't work"? I need more details than this ;-). (also, check the FAQ linked at the bottom of the first post).
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #705
fenlong
fenlong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wifi
Where to go from here?

Ok, so I installed the hack prior to unsubscribing from the Special Offers, which I have since done successfully. Now I see the default screensavers instead of my custom ones. It seems like I should retry the install, but I'm still not able to uninstall the hack. I still see the linkss folder after each attempt. I've tried 3 or 4 times.

Last edited by fenlong; 08-26-2013 at 01:59 AM.
fenlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch