Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Apple e-reader?

I have thought about an apple e-ink e-reader a coupe of times. Has Apple ever considered one? If not, what is or could be the reason for that? Would you buy one? Do you think it could be as popular as other apple products?
I'm just curious about your thoughts about it.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
They already have e- readers. They are called iPads, iPods, and iPhones.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A dedicated reading device? No, I can't see that happening.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I doubt Apple would ever build one. The main eInk reader companies are those who have large online bookstores. Apple has iBooks and sells books for that app, but their bookstore is tiny compared to Amazon and others. Apple has never shown much interest in competing for eBook sales, so they really have no reason to jump into the eInk reader market.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
They already have e- readers. They are called iPads, iPods, and iPhones.
This is about e-ink ereaders
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I doubt Apple would ever build one. The main eInk reader companies are those who have large online bookstores. Apple has iBooks and sells books for that app, but their bookstore is tiny compared to Amazon and others. Apple has never shown much interest in competing for eBook sales, so they really have no reason to jump into the eInk reader market.
I wouldn't think ebook sales matter much, because apple has always been about the devices and not the content. I imagine, we would be able to side-load epubs, like we are now on the ipads/iphones/etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Would you really want Apple to get into the eInk business when they have such lackluster performance with the iBooks App?

I think the only benefit Apple could add to the eInk market would be creating a device that fully complies with ePub3 standards. However, eInk devices wouldn't handle the video aspects...so we are stuck with an eInk that would natively support ePub.

Although I would welcome the competition in the eInk market - I don't see Apple spending the money on that kind of developement when Amazon could do it with a software patch for their kindle...

Now, if you think we could get Apple to write an app that is fully ePub3 compliant that displays well (without quirky bugs) then that would be very interesting...but they had better hurry...The Marvin app is going to beat them to the punch and it's awesome!

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I can't see them doing one. The market is not that large, and prices are rock bottom now, there's no room for the margins they are used to. And most people want a no-frills device that does one job (displaying books) and excels at it, there's not much you can do to justify a premium device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The closest would have been the Newton OS, and they could easily bring that out and put it on new devices and maybe simplify it. They just won't.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An Apple eInk reader powered by iBooks would be an atrocity. No thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iBooks is a very nice ePub reader. It has a few quirks, but so does ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you have to code a lot of work aroused for things that just work in ADE. I know ADE is not perfect, but it has become the standard and iBooks deviates a lot from that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
iBooks may be a "nice" reader, but it's also lame, inflexible, and arrogant in enforcing its own layout choices on all readers. I find it unusable for reading books.

iBooks reminds me of Internet Explorer a lot. I believe most iBooks users are only iBooks users because they don't know any better, and because, much like Internet Explorer on Windows machines, iBooks essentially comes preloaded on iOS devices.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
No it doesn't! It just asks you kindly if you'd like to install it.

I don't have it on my iPad at the moment actually. But that's mainly because Evernote took over PDF duty.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
alienduck
alienduck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I enjoy the synchronicity of my apple devices. However, reading for any length of time on an iPad or iPhone tires my eyes too quickly. For this reason eink is my preferred tablet-reading method. I would love for apple to create an eink reader.
alienduck is offline   Reply With Quote