Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
karthihari
karthihari began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Exclamation compatibility of my charger for NST

Hi,
I am Karthik from India. Got my nook simple touch today n i m completely new to e-readers. my nook dint come with an adapter so i m considering using my LG mobile's adapter. i m just not sure with d compatibility of d power ratings. here r my charger's specs

INPUT: 150-240V~ 50/60HZ 0.2A
OUTPUT: 5.6V,0.4A

so can i use dis one to charge my nook??
pls help me. .
karthihari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Yes, but it will take longer to charge. The nook charger outputs 0.8A, which is twice what yours is outputting. You can also charge from a PC, it will be as fast if not faster.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I was pretty sure the ST had a .5A charger... that's standard USB voltage. 0.4 amps is a bit less, so charging will likely be a bit slower.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
karthihari
karthihari began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
karthihari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
Late to the party but...

Batteries can charge at a maximum safe rate. Charging faster will cause heating. Most devices have components that will restrict/stop/whatever flow to provide relative safety.

The charger used should be fairly close to maximum acceptable amperage. If it isn't, then it can overheat and cause a reduced life expectancy.

Short take: you can usually use a charger with higher capacity on the typical device that manages flow. Using a underpowered charger may work but is prone to breakage and can be a fire hazard. Slowed charging cycles can reduce battery life.

If your device is rated to charge via USB, then a .5A charger should not affect battery life. The max currant for 5V via USB is 500 mA. But, that assumes the charger provides the 5V recommended and isn't reduced trying to output at is max capacity. Cheap chargers have cheap components that can fail to maintain quoted spec.

Last edited by JKenP; 10-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote