Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Multiple-Level Collections

Extreme noob here, so please bear with me.

I just got my Kindle Touch 2 days ago and have never really "played" with a Kindle before to understand the nuances.

I've created a few collections so my home screen is fairly clear. However, now one of the collections is crazy chaotic. Like everybody, I'm sure, I downloaded tons of the classics that are free from Amazon, but many authors have a LOT of book titles. I'd really love to create a sub-collection within that collection just for the author.

Is it possible to create collections within collections? Something like the directory structure on your computer? One level collections seem very limiting.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
No it isn't unfortunately.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The Kindle cannot do multiple level collections.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
kingtermite
KingTermite

Wow. How limiting and disappointing.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You're thinking that collections are like folders, but they're not. They're like tags. You can "tag" each book multiple times (that is, put them in multiple collections.).
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
kingtermite
KingTermite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You're thinking that collections are like folders, but they're not. They're like tags. You can "tag" each book multiple times (that is, put them in multiple collections.).
Yes, I know that. But that still doesn't mean that a multi-level organization wouldn't be more handy. Tags are great because they allow books to be in multiple collections, but they force all "collections" to be at the top level which can get unruly very quick.

Gmail suffers the same problem by using the same tagging scheme with email. I find it very limiting there too.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtermite View Post
Gmail suffers the same problem by using the same tagging scheme with email. I find it very limiting there too.
But you can nest labels in Gmail. In settings/labels, when you create a label, you can choose another label you want it under.

You still can't do it on the Kindle, though.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
kingtermite
KingTermite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
But you can nest labels in Gmail. In settings/labels, when you create a label, you can choose another label you want it under.
Yes, but when you view the labels to categorize an email, even the "nested" ones are shown at the top level along with their parent. If they were truly nested, they would not show up until you went into the parent label (like a true 2nd level).