Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle Life Spans

So far I've owned four Kindles of which one still survives. The other three died.

I purchased a 3rd Generation Kindle WiFi in July, 2010. It shorted out and was replaced by another in September, 2010. Today that one just went dead even though the battery is fine and accepts a charge. The long hold on the start key did not revive it.

I received my first Kindle Fire in mid-Novermber, 2011, and it died in one month. Amazon replaced it with another.

Thus, of four received, only one survives.

In "contrast" my Sony PRS 900 was purchased (for twice the price of the Fire) in December, 2009, and never died but went totally OBSOLETE when the 3rd Generation Kindle appeared. It still lives, however.

It appears I will be buying a new Kindle every year with Amazon only warrenting it for 12 months. After that I will just deregister and remove the cover before I discard them on death.

Therefore, I'm spending far more on eReaders than on eBooks. Since I enjoyed them all, I am fully satisfied and am preparing to buy the 5th Generation Kindle when it appears in 2012. Hopefully, my present unit will live until then (its covered by the Amazon warrenty until November, 2012.)

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-23-2011 at 06:40 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry to hear about so much trouble with your Kindles. My original, now 4-year-old, Kindle 1 is stored away, but the last time I unpacked it it worked fine. My k3 continues to chug along, and my Kindle Fire doesn't show any signs of failing.

Hope you have better luck with your Kindles in the future.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My K2 has never given me bit of trouble. I got it right around the time they first first came out. It sees an hour or more of use every day at the very minimum.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Resurrection !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Sorry to hear about so much trouble with your Kindles. My original, now 4-year-old, Kindle 1 is stored away, but the last time I unpacked it it worked fine. My k3 continues to chug along, and my Kindle Fire doesn't show any signs of failing.

Hope you have better luck with your Kindles in the future.
Your Kindle 1 is OBSOLETE, by the away.

However, good new for me. I charged for four hours and then held the Start button for 5 minutes. Released it and held it for another 5 minutes and it rebooted.

Its the RESURRECTION.

Maybe that would have worked for that first Kindle Fire. I'll have to remember that.

At least 2 of my 4 now LIVE !
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My K2 & K3 still both work just fine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I got a Kindle 2 in January 2010 and it is still going strong. My daughter is using it while she is home from college.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I got my Kindle 3 in mid March (this year) and it's still going strong almost a yr later. I still haven't figured out exactly how to turn it off and back on (how long exactly to hold the power switch) so if I turn it off it takes me a while to work out how to get it back on so I rarely turn it off. Basically though it hasn't given me any real trouble. I bought a case for it very soon after I ordered the reader so I wouldn't have as much chance of damaging it if I dropped it. I have done so several times since then and have yet to have any damage to the unit as a result.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Sure, that's why I replaced it with a Kindle 3 and stored it away. My point was that it got a lot of use, 3+ years worth, and still works fine. I'm not exactly sure why you capitalized OBSOLETE.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Obsolete and working trumps up-to-date and broken (or on the fritz).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Well, my Sony PRS-500 was purchased 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I suspect that the screen is darker than it was when I purchased the device and the battery "only" lasts 10 days between charges, with about 30 minutes of use per day. You also have to consider that is is impossible to switch it off and you only suspend it when you press power button. It "switches on" in about 1 second.

But ... at that time it sold for $350 - about four times the price the cheapest Kindle costs nowadays. It has all-metal case and from what I have seen on photos the screen is set into tough metal frame inside.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Um........why is it "OBSOLETE"?

Just because a device is not the newest version does not make it "obsolete"

I gave my granddaughter one I had bought in June of 2008, and she is still happily reading on it. Books load just fine, and she sees no need to upgrade.

I'm not sure why you are having problems with your devices, but you seem to be in the minority.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
My k2 is still going strong also and it usually sees 5-6 hours of usage a day.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote