Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Red face The Obstinate Margins on PDFs and another big minor Problem !

Even after I remove the margins from PDFs with BRISS, the Kindle adds them while viewing. I have reduced the margins in the configuration file and get no margins in mobi files, but the margins just don't go away from the PDF files. Is there any solution to this?

The other minor problem is that I am realizing that the Kindle 3 has lots of glare. I read textbooks on my Kindle in the Library and I am always changing the angle of my Kindle so that I can read it even with all the tubelights around. Does everyone have the same problem?
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Yepp, that amount of glare is there on the Kindle. But that is about the minimum among the e readers.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
baccilus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
Yepp, that amount of glare is there on the Kindle. But that is about the minimum among the e readers.
But even this much glare is a lot. I wonder why this is not talked about more.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The glare isn't the Kindle, it's the overhead lights bouncing on the screen. I get it at work as I have a light directly over my desk.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
baccilus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The glare isn't the Kindle, it's the overhead lights bouncing on the screen. I get it at work as I have a light directly over my desk.
Isn't that what 'Glare' is? Light being reflected of a surface.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
Isn't that what 'Glare' is? Light being reflected of a surface.
You won't find any other electronic screen with any less "glare". Unless you use a screen protector that cuts out some of the glare.

The eink screens do not give off that much glare vs other screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
baccilus
Enthusiast

OK, I will live with that. But is there any solution to the PDF problem?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Dude, no, theres none. There are only evils with PDFs on Kindle. You have to chose the least among them. I can tell you what I do and find lesser of the evils:

I convert the pdf to html4 + CSS (using acrobat 9.x)
Then, I build this html into a prc file using mobipocket creator
This prc file is converted to mobi using Calibre

Why prc-> mobi, you will ask. So that I can get the functionality of using the 5way controller to change chapters. prc does not support that. Only mobi and azw do.

And, also, please post the pictures of your new Kindle cover. :P
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Just wanted to quickly comment on the glare issue--I compared my Sony Touch to a slick-print journal once. The journal had far more glare than the Sony. I haven't compared my DXG, specifically, but as it has far less glare than the Sony, I'm not going to bother.

Regarding cropping, I don't know if A-PDF Page Crop will work any better for you than Briss. I downloaded and thus far haven't needed it, my DXG seems to automatically crop blank margins?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
baccilus
Enthusiast

@Hellraiser: Will I have to edit the HTML file in any way too? BTW, I haven't bought the batteries for my camera yet. Will post some pics in a couple of days.

@Ziegl: THanks. I guess I will have to get used to the glare.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post

Regarding cropping, I don't know if A-PDF Page Crop will work any better for you than Briss. I downloaded and thus far haven't needed it, my DXG seems to automatically crop blank margins?
Both DX and K2/3 crop blank margins in fit-to-screen-mode (and landscape's fit-to-width mode). But on K2/3, screen real estate is at a premium, so it is helpful to trim page headers and footers as well (page numbers are redundant since Kindle shows these, and headers with chapter names, etc., are usually expendable).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
baccilus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Both DX and K2/3 crop blank margins in fit-to-screen-mode (and landscape's fit-to-width mode). But on K2/3, screen real estate is at a premium, so it is helpful to trim page headers and footers as well (page numbers are redundant since Kindle shows these, and headers with chapter names, etc., are usually expendable).
Yes I know about that but I find it really uncomfortable to read in the landscape mode for more than a page. I wish it did the same thing for portrait mode too.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #13
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo

Quote:
@Hellraiser: Will I have to edit the HTML file in any way too? BTW, I haven't bought the batteries for my camera yet. Will post some pics in a couple of days.
Try it once. Do it only if you need to. I havent bothered yet. In fact, I dont bother with reading pdfs on the Kindle now, and believe me I have tried. Good old way is the best-------- read the print outs when your eyes are tired....
Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes I know about that but I find it really uncomfortable to read in the landscape mode for more than a page. I wish it did the same thing for portrait mode too.
My point was that whitespace is cropped in portrait mode - but given the relative aspect ratios of the display area and of most reading material, that still leaves substantial 'wasted space' along the sides. That improves a bit if you reduce the height by cropping headers/footers.

For extra credit, Amazon could offer a fit-to-width mode in portrait. At least that would use all of the available display space and be a little more ergonomic than landscape.

Another idea for them would be to hide the reading status so PDF display could take up more of the screen (Menu key could reveal it again).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote