Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A Hero Born

I seem to recall a few years ago, there was a thread about Chinese martial arts fiction. I just ran across A Hero Born by Jin Yong in the kindle store. According to the blurb, this is book, written 50 years ago, is the first in a series of books (Legends of the Condor Heroes) that started the current Chinese Martial Arts fiction genre in China. This edition is put out by Hachette. I just downloaded it, so I haven't read it, but I am into the martial arts and like the Chinese martial arts movies, so I'm looking forward to reading it. As I recall, the thread went on quite a bit, so I thought some here might be interested.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
When I saw the title I thought you meant A Hero Born (Realms of Chaos Book 1) by Michael Stackpole.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
When I saw the title I thought you meant A Hero Born (Realms of Chaos Book 1) by Michael Stackpole.
Apache
I've got that one. Stackpole is one of those authors who write books that I find readable, but unsatisfying if that make sense. I don't think that I've ever re-read a Stackpole book. It's funny, because I keep thinking that he ought to be better. He's real good at painting verbal images, but his books are like a joke with a really great lead in and a really weak punch line.

I've always thought that he would do better teamed with someone who could give him a story outline to flesh out or at least a strong editor who could work with him on having a strong finish.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have read some of his books, including A Hero Born, but I have never reread any of them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
STackpole's "A Hero Born" was a co-written series that he pretty much rubber-stamped his name on. It has his name, but it shouldn't. It was a travesty.

As for the OP, my wife reads a lot of fan translated chinese martial arts stuff, so I get enough blow over that I feel zero need to even think about reading this. Plus I read a review of someone I follow who stated that the translation destroyed it for him.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote