Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Integrated FBReader 0.8.14 with ePub and Registry Support

It's been about 6 months since my last port of FBReader. The talented FBReader developers have done a lot. The most important addition is the support for ePub books. You can view the full changelog at FBReader.org.

I, myself, have done a lot of things different for this release as well.
  • I've removed the FBReader toolbar, and thus, disabled the internal library.
    • This was mostly done to speed up porting time. With the library removed, much less needed to be done to the code of the program to port it.
    • All refreshes are done internally. No hacked libX11 is used!
  • By default, FBReader will add supported file extensions to the registry
    • This makes FBReader act like any other viewer on the iLiad.
    • FBReader settings and configuration will be saved to /mnt/settings so a software update should not erase them.
  • The installer no longer requires a memory card, and will be installed to internal memory.
    • The internal memory of the iLiad has 7.8MB free after installing FBReader. It should not interfere with anything else installed internally.

Based on a support thread I made, file extensions supported are:
  • chm
  • rtf
  • oeb
  • opf
  • epub
  • fb2
  • tcr

Because the toolbar is gone, most of the important functions can now be accessed by the hardware buttons:
  • Upper Left/Quit Button
    • Will cancel out of TOC screen, and will quit when inside the book.
  • Page Bar Forward
    • Short Press
      • Next Page
    • Long Press
      • Redo
  • Page Bar Backward
    • Short Press
      • Previous Page
    • Long Press
      • Undo
  • Up Arrow
    • Short Press
      • Previous TOC Section
    • Long Press
      • Increase Font Size
  • Dot or "Enter" Button
    • Short Press
      • Show Table of Contents
    • Long Press
      • Rotate Page
  • Down Arrow
    • Short Press
      • Next TOC Section
    • Long Press
      • Decrease Font Size

Installation of this is simple. You'll need firmware 2.12 and Developer Shell access. Unzip the file, and copy anywhere on your iLiad. You will need to restart your iLiad when it prompts you. After you've restarted, you can delete the installation directory.

There will be no icon to run FBReader, you'll need to select a book from the contentlister with one of the file extensions listed above.
Supported books will have a valid icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feedbookepub.png
Views:	2649
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	10240   Click image for larger version

Name:	chmtoc.png
Views:	2526
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	10241   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodicon.png
Views:	2717
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	10243  
Attached Files
File Type: zip fbreader.zip (1.57 MB, 3381 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I see several problems with this approach:

a) If the encoding is wrong, how is it changed? This is on the book info interface.
b) How to get a different font?
c) In general, how to get to the preferences interface?
d) How to use FBReader for HTML and MOBI, and how to use FBReader for only some MOBIs (i.e. the DRM-free ones)?

Assuming the book info and tools (preferences) interfaces are still there, the above are mostly a problem because of the lack of hardware keys. So perhaps they could be worked around using the on-screen keyboard. I would certainly use FBReader for HTML and MOBI if given the choice, ditching the MobiPocket Reader.

My other concern is that I like FBReader's library, which is a huge improvement over the contentlister, but I can live with no library if I can customize FBReader otherwise. Certainly, a usable full screen mode and faster page turns will be a big help.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I see several problems with this approach:

a) If the encoding is wrong, how is it changed? This is on the book info interface.
b) How to get a different font?
c) In general, how to get to the preferences interface?
d) How to use FBReader for HTML and MOBI, and how to use FBReader for only some MOBIs (i.e. the DRM-free ones)?

Assuming the book info and tools (preferences) interfaces are still there, the above are mostly a problem because of the lack of hardware keys. So perhaps they could be worked around using the on-screen keyboard. I would certainly use FBReader for HTML and MOBI if given the choice, ditching the MobiPocket Reader.

My other concern is that I like FBReader's library, which is a huge improvement over the contentlister, but I can live with no library if I can customize FBReader otherwise. Certainly, a usable full screen mode and faster page turns will be a big help.
The options page is still intact. But using it would be troublesome because there are no screen refreshes programmed in. Your best bet would be to install dropbear, ssh into the iLiad, modify /mnt/settings/.FBReader/options.xml and map two of the keys to the options and book info dialog. You may also want to either manually call displayMgrClient from the shell to refresh the display, or modify the launching script to use the hacked libX11.

As my time lately has grown increasingly scarce, I decided to use this method to speed along porting time. I'll upload my sources if someone wants to work on a more featured port.

Edit:
Application Sources: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...4.iliad.tar.gz
Staging Area Source (for creating an ipk): http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...staging.tar.gz
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Ido Ilan
Enthusiast
Ido Ilan began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Technologies Iliad
Hi Adam,

I prefer the old way, I use the FBReader standalone and don't change the registry.
I like the toolbar and would gladly wait additional time for a standalone application with the all the improvements.

Ido
Ido Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think I would miss FBReader's library too much. Hopefully someone else with more time will be able to do a bit more with this port.

That being said, thanks again, AdamB, for all your great work.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Very nice! Now only if I had an iLiad, hrm? Perhaps when the community porting project takes off.

Post on your blog about it! Or here....
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
It seems that this FBReader on iLiad can only deal with western character. Even though it supports several encoding schemes.

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-13-2008 at 02:22 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'll echo my thanks to Adam B. for all the work he's put in on FBReader for us, but I'm also going to echo others thoughts that this takes FBReader in a less useful direction for me. I use FBReader primarily for CHM and HTML reading.

For now I'll be sticking with the older version.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks Adam B. for the update.
I will checkout your modded src.

The first thing I changed was the default font. I don't like DejaVu Sans.
URW Bookman L looks much better, but tastes differ.
The information lives here: /mnt/settings/.FBReader/ui.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config>
<group name="Indicator">
<group name="InfoDialog">
<group name="Options">
<group name="OptionsDialog">
<group name="Style">
    <option name="Base:fontFamily" value="URW Bookman L"/>
    <option name="Base:fontSize" value="12"/>
    <option name="Base:lineSpacingPercent" value="150"/>
  </group>
</config>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DejaVu_Sans.png
Views:	1780
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	10332   Click image for larger version

Name:	URW_Bookman_L.png
Views:	1673
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	10333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Availabe_Fonts.png
Views:	1802
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	10334  

Last edited by yokos; 02-14-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added screenshots
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #10
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Adam,
great job. I will give it a try!
I never used the library anyway, but I do miss the options page for changing font and changing font size (though a button can do that now).
thnx!
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Will this support prc or mobipocket files as well? I thought fbreader did, but i didn't see them in the supported file types listed.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Adam, great job! Thanks.

One stupid question: How is a ssh shell opened?

One possible bug, the page numbers seem to jump with epub format. I am assuming that this is because actual page numbers are in the format, as in one case I can see the page flows, it is just the number that jumps (from 3 to 5).
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
One possible bug, the page numbers seem to jump with epub format. I am assuming that this is because actual page numbers are in the format, as in one case I can see the page flows, it is just the number that jumps (from 3 to 5).
This is probably a "feature", rather than a bug. The page number in FBReader is based on a fixed number of bytes per page, not on how much text is currently displayed per screen. So it is possible for the page number to jump by 2 (or not change at all) after a page turn.

The advantage of this is that the page number is independent of the font size (and the device). The disadvantage is that it isn't very similar to how we expect page numbers to behave.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #14
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Adam B. said:

Installation of this is simple. You'll need firmware 2.12 and Developer Shell access. Unzip the file, and copy anywhere on your iLiad. You will need to restart your iLiad when it prompts you. After you've restarted, you can delete the installation directory.

------------------------------------

Looks like I could use some help.....

I successfully downloaded the developers toolkit and the iLiad rebooted itself. Next I unzipped the FBreader kit onto an SD card, put the SD card in the iLiad and then attempted to open an RTF file. Nothing happens.

So then I manually executed the run.sh script......LED blinked green for a bit. After that I attempted to open the RTF file. Still nothing.

Since there was no reboot, I'm wondering if the "copy anywhere on your iLiad" means more than just placing it on an SD card that's inserted into the iLiad......

Anyone able to help?

-tnx,

Jeff

p.s. About the "contentlister".....I have inferred from the many postings that this is the same as the screen that has the heading "Books" on it. Is that correct?
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Okay....figured it out.

Word caught me. I had saved the test book as an RTF, but the filename extension was still ".doc". Once changed to ".rtf" all is good!

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote