Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
JohnN
JohnN began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone right now. Waiting for something to read technical PDFs on.
My kobo reader did not have the 100 free books

I just bought my kobo reader from Walmart because Indigo books at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) and the Chapters store on John St didn't have any. I called around a few Walmarts until I found one. Alas, it's white.

I synced up my kobo library, etc. It's there, but no free books.

Hmmm. I didn't issue any sqlite commands, promise!

John
JohnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
I actually prefer to download the public domain books that I wanted instead of the pre-loaded 100 classics that can't be removed.
Anyway I suppose you can exchange it if you prefer the pre-loaded books. Don't see much this kind of problem, it's probably very rare.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I would agree, just download them. They should all be on the Kobo store, and are certainly all on Gutenberg.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
I would agree, just download them. They should all be on the Kobo store, and are certainly all on Gutenberg.
I believe the Kobo site has a download file that gets them all at once. Otherwise you can just pick and choose, the best place is right here at Mobile Read.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe the Kobo site has a download file that gets them all at once. Otherwise you can just pick and choose, the best place is right here at Mobile Read.

Dale
If anyone know where such a file exists could they give me a link?
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Here is kobo's list of the 100 books (not a download link though). They should all be puplic domain. Just pick and choose which ones you want. I agree with Dale that the best place to download them from is right here. The books here are usually much better formatted and you can delete them when your done with them. From what I read the way kobo installs them they are very difficult to remove.

If I were you I would actually consider myself lucky not to have to jump through hoops to delete books I'm not interested in.

I wonder if all the Kobo readers at Walmart come without the books preinstalled.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I wonder if all the Kobo readers at Walmart come without the books preinstalled.
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised given the way they've advertised the 100 books. Does the box it came in advertise them?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
auriel
Enthusiast
auriel began at the beginning.

Device: Black Original Kobo; iPad 2; Black Kobo Touch
^ It does, there's a circle on the front that says "100 free eBooks included" and it's mentioned on the inside, where the inside box folds open.
auriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Drewster
Drewster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Black
I think you should be able to download all the 100 titles included in the Kobo, and more, from Project Gutenberg.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
JohnN
JohnN began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone right now. Waiting for something to read technical PDFs on.
'twas a bigger problem than that. My books won't sync with the kobo desk app (I tried on my Mac and my PC) - the reader keeps on saying "No books". I must have synced it 100 times.

It started misbehaving when I tried to transfer some scientific journal articles (in PDF format) across. They were on my 4 GB SD card. I plugged it in, and it froze. After about 30 minutes, the slide bar hadn't moved, so I reset it with a paper clip. Now I cannot see anything on it.

Aargh. I think it's going back to the store.

Last edited by JohnN; 05-14-2010 at 04:46 AM.
JohnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I envy your lack of 100 free books. I wish mine came without. I would download them from anywhere but the Kobo site.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Waiting for something to read technical PDFs on
If you expect the KOBO to do that - FORGET it.
I returned mine for that reason ONLY and now keep track of this forum to see if and when the firmware update is issued.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Once it gets PDF reflow support, it shouldn't be too bad for reading technical papers on..
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I just bought my kobo reader from Walmart because Indigo books at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) and the Chapters store on John St didn't have any. I called around a few Walmarts until I found one. Alas, it's white.

John
Rather than spending $149 on gas driving around the province to various Wal-Marts, have you considered sending a note to Kobo support?

The 100 free public domain books is a nice perk -- and, yes, they ought to be on the device that you paid for you to enjoy. You should pursue that and get your money's worth.

In the meantime, here on mobileread, I understand there are 20,000+ books available -- right now -- in customised, lovingly formatted ePub, perfect for your Kobo. Plus, you can also check out manybooks.net for many books more. Free. Many of the Kobo books will be found here, and there, too.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
It started misbehaving when I tried to transfer some scientific journal articles (in PDF format) across. They were on my 4 GB SD card. I plugged it in, and it froze
There isn't any $149 e-reader that is adequate as a pdf viewer. You need to consider the right tool for the right job. I'd start with a much larger than 6" screen. The Kobo is not for you.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote