Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Unfinished Symphony er I mean Element

On validate I get 45 "unfinished element" errors in my .epub file. I know what unfinished element means, but I cannot locate it in my file. The number 40 is significant since my file body has multiples of 20 in it. This implies to me if I can locate one instance of this unfinished element, I will be able to do a find and replace to eradicate it. Any suggestions?

All 45 look like this:

ERROR: FileName - Unknown.epub/FileName_split_042.html(11): unfinished element

Thanks - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
look at line 11 in FileName_split_042.html

unfinished element typically means either a required sub element or an required attribute is missing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Kovid, thanks for the reply. I'm a novice. I understand the concept and problem, but I am not experienced enough to "see" where it is in my file. To aid my work, I run my HTML file through html & css validators at http://www.jimworld.com/tools/. This site gives me enough information on errors to fix them and eventually be validated. I then bring the file into Calibre and save it as an epub file. At this point it looks good to me. I then run the epub file through Threepress Consulting's validator at http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate. This is where the error message named above shows up.

Through trial and error I eliminated the unfinished element error and my file is good to go. How I accomplished it is a mystery to me. I shall continue to lumber along, refining my work and sharping my focus. Thanks for Calibre and all the hard work behind it. - Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote