Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Nokia 770: Send to device error

Hi,

I saw that Calibre recently began supporting the Nokia 770, so I dug it out -- it's my first chance to play with "Send to Device"!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. When I plug in my 770, I get two disks exported -- the main system drive, and the MicroSD card. Calibre recognizes the 770, and pops up a little notification.

The disks are unlabeled, so they show up as disk and disk-1 in the /media folder. And they alternate names randomly, depending on which one is recognized first, I imagine.

How can I teach Calibre which one to use? Or do I need to prep the device somehow? I get the error message listed below if I select "Use Main Memory" and I get a message that there are no cards installed if I select either Storage Card A or B.

I can't find anything in Preferences, Send To Device, or the Welcome Wizard. I don't have a folder named "My Ebooks" on disk-1 but I do have a folder named "Books" on disk, which is where I prefer to place them. As disk-1 is the system disk, I don't think it's wise to dump my books at the root of it.

Here's the error message:

Code:
(13, 'Permission denied')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 57, in run
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 229, in _upload_books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 105, in upload_books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 895, in create_upload_path
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/disk-1/My Ebooks'
Thanks!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is there some permanent structure on either of the disks that can be used to identify them? Like a file/folder that cannot be deleted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Well, I could certainly make one. A good choice would be to use the Books folder, I guess -- I could give it a unique name if necessary.

Or perhaps I could label the MicroSD card... Let me check if it'll let me do that...

-- pause you don't experience --

Okay, just relabeled the non-system drive "Micro_SD". Unmounted, restarted the 770. Hasn't affected the 770, so we're good... Remounted the drives to my laptop. What's next?

(The "Micro_SD" drive is, in fact, a 350mb partition on a 2gb microSD card. The remainder of the drive is mapped to the system, giving it more local storage.)

m a r
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm looking more for something that would be common to all users of the Nokia 770
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
rogue_ronin
Banned

Ah.

The SD card is generally empty, as it's not required for the device to function... I think that, even if I restored my 770 to "factory fresh", the card itself would be empty. It's just a standard linux mount.

It does have a swap file (.swap), but swap is an option that you have to specifically turn on.

Internally, I believe it is always mapped to /media/mmc1 -- you might be able to access it that way, but I think the system software unmounts the card when it's accessed by USB.

Is it reasonable to add a Calibre-specific hidden file?

m a r
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What about in the main memory? If we can recognize the main memory we know what the card is by exclusion
Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned

Well, main memory is a standardish linux. Pick something like /usr?

Hmmm...

I've not touched this device in most of a year... Now that I think about it, I've got Fanoush's kernel and I've installed the system to boot from the SD card. I may have led you astray.

Both disks that are appearing are the SD card -- the actual internal flash drive is not being exported. A standard 770 wouldn't have the "system" disk at all -- you'd simply see a single, empty disk (or as many disks as the SD card has partitions.) However, my current setup is fairly common, as it significantly increases the 770's speed and capacity. And any SD card could be partitioned for other reasons.

The "system" disk could be written to, wherever the user is storing books (internally, you can store in your user folder, or on the SD card) but permissions are a bit of a mess when accessing the system externally.

Now, the way that Calibre is "seeing" the 770, whatever is exported is the "main memory", right? Or does it map all the disks that appear via the 770 in order -- Main Memory, Disk A, Disk B? I'd suggest ignoring any "system" disks, and map whatever else shows up.

And where does Calibre expect to store the ebooks? Is there a way to customize it? If not, it might be simple enough to create that directory structure, given that most folks on the 770 are going to be using FBReader.

Thanks,

m a r

EDIT: I should mention that I'm on Linux -- I expect that the "system" disk would not appear to a Windows system at all, and this would probably not be an issue.

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-30-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre basically queries sysfs to find out all mountable partitions on the device and then mounts them (if not already auto mounted). The first (in kernel order) partition is assumed to be the main memory.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned

Got it.

Is there a way to tell it to skip one? As I wrote, there are a lot of 770 users with an SD-boot system.

How does it assign Disk A? That might be a workaround, but right now the second partition isn't recognized.

m a r
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can do pretty much anything you like if you modify the driver (it has a callback to assign drive order), but I'd need a modification that is likely to work on all (or at least most) 770s
Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
rogue_ronin
Banned

First drive that doesn't have any system files.

If you've got the SD-boot, it'll jump to the second partition. If you don't, first drive is fine.

m a r
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

So directories like usr tmp and var in the root of the disk?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
rogue_ronin
Banned

Yup.

m a r
Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK open a ticket for it, so I dont forget.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
rogue_ronin
Banned

Okey-doke!

m a r

ps: wow! my first valid Calibre ticket!

Tags
nokia 770, send to device