Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony eReader 505 and Barnes & Noble eBooks?

Can I read Barnes and Noble eBooks on my Sony PRS 505 eReader? I'm thinking of buying the B & N Nook and would like to interchange the books between the two eReaders.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
At this point, no. If things go as described and B&N switches to ePub when the Nook releases AND Sony were to update the ADE software on their Readers then it should work if everything I've read is correct.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
For the technically adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Can I read Barnes and Noble eBooks on my Sony PRS 505 eReader? I'm thinking of buying the B & N Nook and would like to interchange the books between the two eReaders.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer.
This was a question I had myself. I was looking for a particular book in electronic format for my Sony 505, and between fictionwise and booksonboard the prices were just outrageous (higher than i would have to pay for the hardcover version). Found the book for $9.99 on Barnes and Nobel in their eBook format (really is .PDB).

Decided to buy it. Apparently Calibre can convert it to Sony format if it is not DRM'd. Unfortunately B&N is selling DRM's ebooks.

In the end, I had to hunt for a DRM remover. Was able to convert and put on my Sony. So yes, it can be done, but it will involve a little work on your part.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
I'm worried that BN will want to sell Nook books for Nook readers only,
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
I'm worried that BN will want to sell Nook books for Nook readers only,
I don't think that is a realistic fear. B&N has already granted Adobe the right to include the B&N DRM wrapper in the newest version of ADE and Adobe is making it available to anyone who wants it. Adopters will have access to both the B&N version and the Adobe version of DRMed ePub.

In addition, B&N's ebooks are already known to be compatible with the forthcoming Plastic Logic Que and iRex 800 (assuming that the devices actually appear), and Astak supposedly will be offering access on its line of devices. I don't know if Sony will also offer the ADE upgrade, but I do know that they have had calls and e-mails requesting it so I suspect they eventually will, perhaps as soon as with the release of the Sony Daily Edition, which is scheduled for December.

B&N is (the DRM argument aside) making access to its ebooks available to any device maker who wants it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert