Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Should I Sell My Kindle?

Hello,

So I got the Kindle at the 359.99 price reduction from what it originally was (399.99 right?). I'm realizing more and more that perhaps the price of the Kindle is due to the whispernet. A very revolutionary piece of tech for the reader. I find myself, however, never using it. I send my stuff to the Kindle through USB via PDFRead and simple .txt. I've only bought one ebook through Amazon and I don't subscribe to any magazines.

I'm considering selling it and getting a new ebook reader better suited for my needs. I'd still want an e-ink reader. But I'm not sure if I should sell this yet. The other reason I bought this is because Amazon usually has the best source for books and I was hoping to start buying my text books as ebooks. Would it still be good to hang on to the Kindle because of the .azw exclusive format? I mean I'd hate to get a Sony reader only to find that all of my text books for school are amazon exclusive.

I think I also read that there's going to be a Kindle geared towards students. Is this hardware going to be the same or is the ebook library simply going to have more text books? Any students here use ebook readers and think they know which one is best? If all I'm paying for is the whispernet when I bought my Kindle, I'd love to know which ebook reader is best for students!
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's a tough call. On one hand, I might expect Amazon's Kindle format to be more likely to be a future textbook format than Sony. On the other hand, the text industry, dragging their heels in e-texts, might decide a different or totally new format is better (perhaps one that does color). Without knowing more about the textbook industry's plans, trying to guess at the next textbook reader is almost sheer guesswork.

Obviously, if they do go color, your Kindle AND Sony's readers will not fit the bill. I'd assume at this point that, although the Kindle is more likely to handle e-texts, it will most likely be best used for casual reading, not academic use.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
KindleKid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's a tough call. On one hand, I might expect Amazon's Kindle format to be more likely to be a future textbook format than Sony. On the other hand, the text industry, dragging their heels in e-texts, might decide a different or totally new format is better (perhaps one that does color). Without knowing more about the textbook industry's plans, trying to guess at the next textbook reader is almost sheer guesswork.

Obviously, if they do go color, your Kindle AND Sony's readers will not fit the bill. I'd assume at this point that, although the Kindle is more likely to handle e-texts, it will most likely be best used for casual reading, not academic use.
And there's definitely no way to use Kindle ebooks on any other ebook reader. This is what bothers me. I don't really make use of whispernet but one of my crucial textbooks this semester is only in .azw format.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
And there's definitely no way to use Kindle ebooks on any other ebook reader. This is what bothers me. I don't really make use of whispernet but one of my crucial textbooks this semester is only in .azw format.
That's true to a point and what Amazon wants you to think. However, if you are willing to learn how to "liberate" the ebooks by removing the DRM they can be used on other devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm realizing more and more that perhaps the price of the Kindle is due to the whispernet.
I don't agree with you - I very much doubt that "whispernet" adds more than $20 at most to the retail cost of the Kindle; there are numerous devices in that same $300-350 price bracket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I was one of the first to get the Kindle, and I did try a couple textbooks on it. I would not recommend it.

The first problem is the comparative cost. You cannot resell a Kindle textbook.

The second problem is that page turns are too slow. You can't flip back and forth between several pages as easily as a book.

The third problem is that the screen is too small. It simply won't hold enough information.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You already own the Kindle. If you sell it now you lose a lot of its value as the price must be less than the current sale price (even after the Oprah discount.) With stories going around about a "new Kindle" before Christmas, the price may be depressed even more. In short, the least expensive e-ink device is the one you already own. If your critical textbook is Kindle only, stay there.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
KindleKid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You already own the Kindle. If you sell it now you lose a lot of its value as the price must be less than the current sale price (even after the Oprah discount.) With stories going around about a "new Kindle" before Christmas, the price may be depressed even more. In short, the least expensive e-ink device is the one you already own. If your critical textbook is Kindle only, stay there.
Hmm well, I can still get a good price for it on ebay, if I sell soon. I wonder if I should use that cash to get the PRS-700? The semester is nearly over and that one text book is going to longer be needed in a month.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hmm well, I can still get a good price for it on ebay, if I sell soon. I wonder if I should use that cash to get the PRS-700? The semester is nearly over and that one text book is going to longer be needed in a month.
With the current $50 coupon on the Kindle till Nov 1st you probably won't get a good price. If you wait till after then I would expect that you can get around $300 for it. Especially if you are willing to ship it overseas.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest waiting until Amazon announces their text book reader (early?) next year. You may get less for the Kindle then if you have to sell it, but if you buy a PRS-700 now and have to sell it for a Kindle2 that would cost more in the long run.

Part of the reason for my suggestion is that I don't see the PRS-700 to be a huge improvement over the Kindle for your reading pattern. Or are you looking for the reflow capability of Digital Editions for PDFs?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

As of today the Sony is much better than the Kindle for text books. It has support for more formats that textbooks are likely to be published in and has the ability to allow students to read their books on a pc when they need to. Of course Amazon could give textbook publishers a deal they can't refuse I suppose but as configured it is not the best deal for the students.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As of today the Sony is much better than the Kindle for text books. It has support for more formats that textbooks are likely to be published in and has the ability to allow students to read their books on a pc when they need to. Of course Amazon could give textbook publishers a deal they can't refuse I suppose but as configured it is not the best deal for the students.

Dale
The Sony Reader PRS-700 is currently the best bet for a 6" screen based reader and text books due to the ability to search and make notes along with what Dale has said. But, the 700 is not due out till mid November.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
You have to look at the repercussions. Not only would you have to sell your Kindle, you'd have to change your username
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Of course Amazon could give textbook publishers a deal they can't refuse I suppose but as configured it is not the best deal for the students.
That would be a chief concern of mine... we all know that technology isn't always chosen for its superiority, but often for its clout...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was one of the first to get the Kindle, and I did try a couple textbooks on it. I would not recommend it.

The first problem is the comparative cost. You cannot resell a Kindle textbook.

The second problem is that page turns are too slow. You can't flip back and forth between several pages as easily as a book.

The third problem is that the screen is too small. It simply won't hold enough information.
I love my Kindle for novels and such but I don't think I would like it for textbooks. It does have search, annotation and dictionary look up which helps but, as you say, the limitations of a 6" eink screen are just a bit much. I think the Kindle also has a specific disadvantage in that you can't read the books on your computer as well. Sure, you can transfer clippings, but since there are times I would want the big screen, color and to be able to do a lot of clippings quickly, I think that would bug me. It also means that any student without a Kindle couldn't use the ebook unless it was also available in other formats. I don't think most universities would like that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote