Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
HenkB
HenkB began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
my iLiad cannot read this pdf?

I have an Iliad (second edition) and I am a reader of books and the NRC (Dutch newspaper).

I also have a pdf subsciption on a sailing magazine (I read them normaly on my PC):
http://www.ziltmagazine.nl/nummer25.html
It's a multimedia pdf of 5.1 Mb.
I can read pdf files on my iLiad, so why not this magazine, I thought, but after 20 seconds waiting the frontpage of the magazine appears, and 10 seconds later the readers stops and goes to menu. If I try again (and again and ...) same thing happens.

I mailed to the magazine. They gave me a new pdf file (no multimedia and one page shown at the time), but same thing happens.
They told me that their PDF file was compatible with Adobe, but that some Apple and Linux computers used not Adobe, but some simple version. That version gets confused sometimes, but does show the magazine.
Has somebody suggestions?
HenkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Suggestion

Hi HenKB,

I have read somewhere in the Forums (Mobile read or irex forums), that some pdf which were slow to open could be due to usage of Fonts type 3 (open the pdf file, got to file/properties/fonts to find out). I also read that the solution would be to replace those type 3 fonts by type 1 Fonts. I am sorry I can not direct you exactly where I read that as i do not have the necessary time to do the research, but I am pretty certain that if you do have time to do the research you will find the related discussions. now, I am afraid that you will probably not be able to change the fonts as I think that the magazine that you received from a subscription my probably be protected...
Anyway, Good Luck!!!
D.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
sharpshin
sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad V2
I think there is some evidence that the iRex pdf reader is somewhat flaky about recovering from resource limitations. I have had some pdfs return to the contentlister also, without giving any error indications.

As an acid test try loading the Adobe PDF Reference version 1.7 (available on their web site). It's about 30M. When I try to read it the first page comes up, but after advancing through the table of contents, the Iliad activity light comes on and stays on indefinitely. (I was recharging, so I let it run for several hours for fun). Apparently the reader had gone into a loop and was unresponsive to further button pressing. Time to reset and reboot.
sharpshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshin View Post
When I try to read it the first page comes up, but after advancing through the table of contents, the Iliad activity light comes on and stays on indefinitely. (I was recharging, so I let it run for several hours for fun). Apparently the reader had gone into a loop and was unresponsive to further button pressing. Time to reset and reboot.
Maybe it was a kernel crash you were experiencing. During the test of the bluetooth modules I compiled I examined similar symptoms. Looks like the kernel freezes so badly that it doesn't even know how to flash the LED anymore...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Here's what the syslog says when I open your file:
Code:
May  1 16:28:02 ereader user.info ipdf: PDFDoc::displayPage 1 uses 18203488
May  1 16:28:02 ereader user.info ipdf:  drawImage and XSync time 40025
May  1 16:28:09 ereader user.err contentLister: (CL_E)programManager.c:973,pm_UpdateState() Failed to fetch class hint for window 0x200004
May  1 16:28:10 ereader user.info ipdf: PDFDoc::displayPage 2 uses 7065667
May  1 16:28:10 ereader user.info ipdf:  drawImage and XSync time 145196
May  1 16:28:12 ereader user.notice out of memory [ 779out of me ]
The device runs out of memory when opening the file. Maybe adding SWAP helps.
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
sharpshin
sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad V2
Thanks, Thomas; I didn't think to look in the error log.

If the Iliad can post an error, it should be able to give a decent diagnostic for the user too.
sharpshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict

The syslog is disabled by default, you have to turn it on manually (by issuing
Code:
syslogd
on the command line). The log messages will then be written to /var/log/messages.

Tags
error, iliad, pdf