Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
A good offline Bible app?

Anyone know of a good offline Bible app? I've had a few Bible apps before but they need access to the internet, and I'd like to be able to read on my lunch break; my work does not have wifi. If it helps I'll soon be running ICS on an Acer A500.

Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Bible.is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.bibleis

or

http://www.1mobile.com/bible-81363.html

You could always download a PDF version and then use a PDF App like Mantano or ezPDF.

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/new-int...niv-bible-pdf/

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...aOuMFxOl4IFeaw

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
My son likes Cadence but I have found mysword.info excellent. biblesupport.com has a ton of resources that work with mysword. They have many of the esword resources converted to mysword.

I might add that all the biblesupport resources are free as is the basic mysword program. They have a couple features you can get for a donation but the free one works very nicely.

Last edited by exscentric; 06-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I have Olive Tree. You can sync their stuff to many different tablets, etc if that would be of interest to you. I have OT on my iPhone, my Nook Color, and my computer!
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
+1 on olive tree. If you purchase resources you can use them on any device including your desktop.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I do not know if they have an Android app, but the iOS app from youversion.com is great. I have had good interaction with them as well. I would say that if they do not have an Android app, it is coming.

Update: I went and looked and they do have an Android app. You should check it out.

Last edited by dgillette.rm; 06-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
+1 on olive tree. If you purchase resources you can use them on any device including your desktop.
+2 On olive tree
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
I do not know if they have an Android app, but the iOS app from youversion.com is great. I have had good interaction with them as well. I would say that if they do not have an Android app, it is coming.

Update: I went and looked and they do have an Android app. You should check it out.
The android app is good. You have to remember to get an offline version if you might not have internet access. Some of the versions also have recorded bibles also. The reading plans are pretty good too. I still prefer Olive Tree, especially as a study Bible but I use them both.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know if it works on Android or not but e-sword is good.

http://www.e-sword.net/
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
e-sword is windows only, they have a pocket pc version that works on some versions of windows mobile. Most e-sword users with android units are addicted to the massive resources of mysword and bible support :-)

PPC version is a bit slow to open but functions fairly well after it is up and running. Thus far the e-sword developer has no plans to further the ppc version or to make an android version from what I read.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like Quick Bible as it can convert PalmBible+ pdb files, though the Hebrew conversion is currently buggy. It also has really nice color theme customization.

Disclaimer: I'm on the dev team for that project, but haven't contributed much code yet.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
I like Quick Bible as it can convert PalmBible+ pdb files, though the Hebrew conversion is currently buggy. It also has really nice color theme customization.

Disclaimer: I'm on the dev team for that project, but haven't contributed much code yet.
I use Quick Bible but I didn't notice that Bible+ format feature, that's what I used during my Palm days. QB is also very light weight. I have old hardware and a hacked ROM and OliveTree did not behave well. QB is as snappy as you'd expect from the name and never gives me any issues.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I have Olive Tree. You can sync their stuff to many different tablets, etc if that would be of interest to you. I have OT on my iPhone, my Nook Color, and my computer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
+2 On olive tree
OK. I went to the App Store on my iPhone and there are a few different versions of Olive Tree.

BibleReader - $0.99

Bible+ - Free

NIV BibleReader - $9.99

etc, (different versions)

Which do you all have. Do you have to purchase the Reader ($0.99 or Free) first and then buy the versions? If so, what is the difference between the $0.99 version and the Free version. Or does the free version include versions?

Thanks
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
JimMcLaren
Addict

You can get the free reader here. It only includes the King James version. Olive Tree regularly runs specials and often gives away Bible versions. In the last 18 months they have given away the ESV and NASB. You can register and received notifications of their sales. They often have 25% off sales of everything at their website.

Once you have the free version installed and you have registered, adding books and Bibles is very easy. You can purchase from within the app or their website and download later.

[EDIT]
I didn't notice you said you had an iPhone. The link is to the android store. Everything else is said is likely true for the iPhone app.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 06-18-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I recommend Alkitab, by YUKU. You can find it in google play store. It has the ability to read bibles from bible+ program (legacy of Palm OS).
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote