Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle Touch, Nook Touch or Kobo Touch?

Hi everyone!

I purchased a Kindle Touch from Best Buy and I like the lightweight and ease of reading books. However there were some problems that sort of put me to seek out for another e-book reader.

Dislikes: No page number only percentage except when I hit the menu screen; Problem when touching the screen, pages suddenly skips ahead and since it is via percentage instead of page numbers, takes a bit to find the page I just read, when reading footnotes I am unable to go back to the page where the footnote originated.

While researching for other e-books, I came across the dreaded DRM AMZ file and I can't read books out of Amazon eco-system.

I saw a video review of the Nook Touch and some of the things I like was that I see page numbers and after hitting a footnote there is actually a back button that takes you back to the page you were reading, that the store seems easy to navigate through the Nook Touch.

Dislikes: The weird size of the Nook, I also read that Barnes & Noble has a DRM on their ebooks, some books are exclusive to Amazon and I am unable to purchase it anywhere else (which is more of a dislike for exclusivity of Amazon).

Kobo Touch: I like the design of the e-book reader actually out of the three e-readers the Kobo is my favorite, and I see from the software updates that they have been adding lots of things such as fonts, page margins, etc. of course the opposite is that some of these updates should have been in there in the first place...

Dislikes: Kobo's e-book store has less stuff than Amazon and Barnes & Noble when I am searching for certain books on their website. Also, I am not sure if the Kobo Touch has it but I am unable to see a "wish list" on there store via my web browser. I don't purchase a lot of books but when I do I like to have a "wish list" since I can't remember all the books that sound interesting and I want to read at a later date.

In closing:

1. I am looking primary an e-book reader no fancy tablet with video or music
2. Easy to return back from a footnote.
3. Page numbering.
4. Less exclusivity as possible, however, needs to have an equal or close amount of e-books to Amazon.
5. Design similar to Kobo Touch or Kindle Touch, I don't like the Nook Touch design at all.
6. Using the latest e-ink technology.
7. Good customer service, we have one Barnes & Noble store here and Amazon email is always pretty fast.

When I did research, my conclusion was the Kindle Touch and second was Kobo Touch. Is there a way to purchase books that are DRM free and read it on the Kindle?

Maybe I should wait for the next refresh? Isn't Barnes & Noble Nook Touch ready for a refresh, I think I read about that somewhere.

I am sorry that my post is long.
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
You can easily handle books that come from outside the Amazon store on your Kindle Touch. First, if the book is DRM free, you can either "sideload" (copy) it to the Kindle if it's MOBI formatted, or convert it using Calibre if it's ePub formatted, and then sideload.

If the book is DRM'd, you need to strip the DRM before you do much of anything with it. This is NOT HARD, but we can't give you any more specific instructions here than to tell you to "google Apprentice Alf".

Even if you never buy a book outside your eReader's native ecosystem (Amazon, for me), removing the DRM is just smart since it allows full and flexible backups. My normal workflow strips the DRM on every book I read before I start. It takes a few seconds longer, but since Calibre would be part of my eBook management regardless, it really isn't an issue.

If you like the Kindle Touch, get it. Then address the minor annoyance of how to make sure you have flexibility with any books you buy. And maybe someday the publishers will get rid of this crud, just as the music industry finally did.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Either the Kindle Touch or the Nook Touch are decent purchases. It used to be that I would recommend the Nook over the Kindle, since the Nook could check out library books, but now the Kindle can too. Either one can side-load books, and it's trivial to convert epub to mobi or vice-versa, so that's not an issue. I'd say whichever one is cheaper or more aesthetically pleasing to you is the one you should get.

Take my advice and stay away from the Kobo Touch though. I had one and eventually got so fed up I sold it and bought a Nook Touch. It's so glitchy, and the text formatting (while better than its predecessor the Kobo Wifi) is still nowhere near as good as the Kindle or Nook.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks CRussel and tecweston for the help and more information about what can be done to e-book readers.

I think I will go down to Barnes & Noble and check out the Nook Touch and see if I can get use to the awkward design and see if those buttons on the side are any good. I like to see page numbers and being weird I like to go back to the page I am reading from a footnote.

To bad about the Kobo Touch, I saw those horror stories about customer support but I do like the design, I have to remember I am buying an e-reader to read not for aesthetics.

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
I think I will go down to Barnes & Noble and check out the Nook Touch and see if I can get use to the awkward design and see if those buttons on the side are any good. I like to see page numbers and being weird I like to go back to the page I am reading from a footnote.
Thanks again!
The buttons are good, I use them about as much as I use the actual touch screen. The Nook has page numbers, they are at the very bottom of the screen, and also when you click on a footnote there is a "back" button that pops up to go back to where you were.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have the Nook touch & the Kindle Touch. You do get used to the Nook size. I'm not fond of the page turn buttons though. I find them a little stiff, but I'm sure if I used them enough, I would get used to them.

Get a Nook from Best Buy & try it for a week or so. You can return it if you don't like it.

I have 3 e-readers (Nook, Kindle & Sony). I like each for a reason & then there are some reasons I don't like them. But I found I can get used to just about any reader. Many amazon books I find I can buy at smashwords...Not all but a lot of them. Depends what kind of books you are looking for.

Good luck.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Dislikes: No page number only percentage except when I hit the menu screen; Problem when touching the screen, pages suddenly skips ahead and since it is via percentage instead of page numbers, takes a bit to find the page I just read, when reading footnotes I am unable to go back to the page where the footnote originated.
To go from a footnote back to the page you were reading, just tap the top of the screen to display the menu, then tap the "Back" arrow at the left side of the menu bar.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
tron_1970

Thanks HarryT!

The tip works! One more plus for the Kindle, I will still check out the Nook Simple Touch too.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To go from a footnote back to the page you were reading, just tap the top of the screen to display the menu, then tap the "Back" arrow at the left side of the menu bar.
OT: I used this feature the other day as I read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. Unfortunately the footnote was at the end of the book. So even though I got back to the page I was reading, whispersync decided my furthest page read was at 99%. I then had to contact Kindle customer service and have the "furthest page read" reset.
I really, really, really, really wish the end user could reset that themselves!!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
One consideration--even now, there seem to be quite a few library books available in PDF or EPUB that don't have a Kindle button available. Since library books remain my primary source of reading material, this matters to me a lot.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You might also want to consider new Sony Reader (PRS-T1).
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Thanks CRussel and tecweston for the help and more information about what can be done to e-book readers.

To bad about the Kobo Touch, I saw those horror stories about customer support but I do like the design, I have to remember I am buying an e-reader to read not for aesthetics.

Thanks again!
I have the Kobo Touch and am very happy with it. The Nook looks nice too, but not if you're in Canada. And I didn't like the Sony because you have to swipe to turn pages, instead of tapping.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-27-2012 at 01:10 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Nook ST hands down, or Sony T1.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Sony also has page turn buttons at the bottom, which seems like a good thing to have.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
tron_1970

What is the resolution of the Sony PRS-T1? I see some conflicting reports out there 600 x 800 or 1024 x 800. Of course Sony's website is completely useless on this matter.

Also, can I use any SD card or does it have to be a Sony? Lastly, would I be able to purchase books from B&N and read on the PRS-T1?

I didn't do research on the Sony, and I haven't bought a Sony product for a long time, so I need to check out the YouTube videos of it. I gave my brother the Kindle Touch I had, the more I read about Amazon and ebooks makes me want to purchase ebooks somewhere else.

B&N has two stores here, but I hate the design of the Nook Simple Touch and the buttons seems easily to break off. I have to stop by Best Buy and check out the Sony PRS-T1.

Thanks everyone for their continued input to this matter.