Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
jaexterr
jaexterr began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub errors Help!

I have been working on my epub in sigil (file created in indesign) and have cleaned up all errors except the toc.ncx file, "unsupported protocol in URL" line 1- Can anyone help me resolve this?

This same error comes up both in Sigil epub check and the online epubchecker (I did both just in case.)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Ive been looking at it until im cross eyed and need to get this doc up asap.
Thanks!
jaexterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It that's the first line of your toc.ncx file, it's all wrong. It looks like you've just taken the header from an XHTML file and just changed the 'html' (immediately following the !DOCTYPE) to 'ncx'.

An NCX header should look like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd"><ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
  <head>
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
ncx not html for your head element and your doctype declaration seems off.

<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Code:
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
Not sure why there's an html namespace in your ncx either, should likely remove that.

Edit: and beaten by everyone

Last edited by Serpentine; 12-03-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: too sloooowwww
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
jaexterr

still no go...

so... I tried all the options suggested, the first two gave me more errors in the file, the last one was "unsupported protocol in URL ".

I freely admit I dont know what Im doing, there could be all number of things Ive missed in getting this file right. I have attached the file for review... I sure appreciate your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tocncx.txt (9.2 KB, 219 views)
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't guarantee there's no typos, but I tried to whip your file into shape.

Make sure you rename it to toc.ncx
Attached Files
File Type: txt tocncx.txt (8.1 KB, 415 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
jaexterr

Thanks DiapDealer!! It looks lovely and tidy...but Im STILL getting an error

Its says "expected end of tag "navpoint" at line 500... and when I check line 500 the tag </navpoint> is there (as expected!) why would it not recognize it?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaexterr View Post
Its says "expected end of tag "navpoint" at line 500... and when I check line 500 the tag </navpoint> is there (as expected!) why would it not recognize it?
I'm not sure. Especially since the file I uploaded has less than 260 lines.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
jaexterr

LOL I guess Sigil adds lines (and maybe spaces...?) to the code. Grrr.
Any suggestions......please this is my last hope LOL

Last edited by jaexterr; 12-03-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
jaexterr

still epub error altho different error....

I changed all the <content src="Text/cover.html"/> to </content src="Text/cover.html"> and the error changed to "expected end of tag "navPoint". However the correct tag seems to be there on the next line, line 19. Does anyone know why it wouldnt read it correctly? Everything else seems to read great! (the bracket below is not in the code, just showing line 18 in text) Thanks!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
<head>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="123456789X"/> <!-- same as in .opf -->
<meta name="dtb:depth" content="1"/> <!-- 1 or higher -->
<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/> <!-- must be 0 -->
<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/> <!-- must be 0 -->
</head>
<docTitle>
<text>The Chronicles of Trayvian James, Book 1: Dreamworld</text>
</docTitle>
<navMap>
<navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
<navLabel>
<text>Cover</text>
</navLabel>
(18) </content src="Text/cover.html">
</navPoint>
<navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
<navLabel>
<text>preface1</text>
</navLabel>
</content src="Text/preface1.html">
</navPoint>
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I changed all the <content src="Text/cover.html"/> to </content src="Text/cover.html">
You need to change all those back.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
jaexterr

ok will do - thanks for the tip! Any ideas on why its still not going through?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
In XML all start and end tags must be matched:
So there must be an end tag </foo> for every start tag <foo>, and vice versa.
Note that 'empty tags' <foo /> count as both start on stop tags (they match themselves)

So by changing all the <content ... /> to </content ... >
You changed them from empty tags to end tags which made your XML invalid since the tags were unbalanced (end tags with no start tags) - which the parser complained about in it's cryptic fashion.

--
p.s If Sigil is causing you problems:
1.) Hand edit the .ncx file and manually up the epub as a zip container.
2.) Report the bug.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
jaexterr

you mean its not me.....? LOL
Finally, it works , and Im not even sure I did anything!!
Thanks

Tags
epub error, epub errors