Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Covers don't show in file!

I will try and describe this as best I can, can't remember ever having this problem before.

I have added some files to Calibre that had 'home made' covers. I have been through each file and changed the metadata to show the original book cover which it does nicely in Calibre, however, still in Calibre, if I open the individual book file to read, the old original home made cover is still there and has not been replaced by the one showing in Calibre if you see what I mean

What am I missing, I assume I am just having yet another senior moment
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
I will try and describe this as best I can, can't remember ever having this problem before.

I have added some files to Calibre that had 'home made' covers. I have been through each file and changed the metadata to show the original book cover which it does nicely in Calibre, however, still in Calibre, if I open the individual book file to read, the old original home made cover is still there and has not been replaced by the one showing in Calibre if you see what I mean

What am I missing, I assume I am just having yet another senior moment
nope not a senior moment. what you need to do after you change a cover is to run a conversion (converting from a format to the same format works fine). this adds the new cover to the actual file you send to your reader.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Such a simple but (to me) obscure fix, worked excellently, many thanks.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
nope not a senior moment. what you need to do after you change a cover is to run a conversion (converting from a format to the same format works fine). this adds the new cover to the actual file you send to your reader.
Until recently (early 0.8) I remember that saving the file would update the metadata including swapping the old cover for the new one.
Now I find that when I update the cover in calibre (epub file) if I save the file to a folder the old cover is still there and the only way to replace it is forcing before an epub-to-epub conversion.
I find this behaviour a step back from the previous and would like to know if there is any chance to get calibre to update cover on save as it worked on 0.7 land.
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleccionista View Post
Until recently (early 0.8) I remember that saving the file would update the metadata including swapping the old cover for the new one.
I thought if the cover was clearly defined (to epub standards) then the cover should be updated during Save to disk and Send to device. But if the cover wasn't clearly defined it would only update the cover during a conversion. Normally I would suggest that the cover in your source isn't clearly defined, but I just tested this and although I thought Saving to disk and Sending to device updated the book in the same manner. You are correct the cover was updated in the epub during Send to device but not during Save to disk.

I would open up a bug report.

In the mean time use the Connect to folder feature to save books to a folder on your disk and the covers will be updated because you use Send to device to transfer books to disk using the Connect to folder feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Saving to disk and sending to device both use the exact same code to update covers. I tried a save to disk on an epub with a well defined cover (a calibre news download) and it worked.

When sending to some devices, covers are uploaded as separate files (SONY devices and Kobos) which is probably why you think the send to device worked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Saving to disk and sending to device both use the exact same code to update covers. I tried a save to disk on an epub with a well defined cover (a calibre news download) and it worked.

When sending to some devices, covers are uploaded as separate files (SONY devices and Kobos) which is probably why you think the send to device worked.
What you say makes sense and is how I thought it worked. I will experiment later, but my one experience sending to device the cover on my PRS950 is embedded in the book upon send to device not just drifting separately and the save to disk version was not updated. Every book in my library has been converted using calibre so I know each book the cover is properly set.

Later tonight I will perform multiple experiments and most likely I will see what you describe. If my experiments confirm the one example I'll let you know.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Quote:

Later tonight I will perform multiple experiments and most likely I will see what you describe. If my experiments confirm the one example I'll let you know.
Windows XP sp3
calibre 0.8.22

I had a chance to check out the cover updating of Save to disk versus Send to device.

I added new covers to 3 books in calibre. I then saved 3 books to disk (one at a time) in a test folder. I also created a folder and used the Connect to folder feature and used Send to device to send the same 3 books (one at a time) to the device folder.

The covers in the epubs in the Save to disk folder were not updated with the new covers even though I had the Update metadata in saved copies checked under Preferences - Saving books to disk.

The covers in the epubs in the Send to device folder were updated with the new cover.

There is definitely a difference between the two.

So what is the difference between what you did and what I did?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run calibre in debug mode and post the log after doing a save to disk.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Run calibre in debug mode and post the log after doing a save to disk.
First I am running the portable version. If you can't replicate it may be my system.

Here is a restart in debug where I just saved 2 books to disk and exited.

Spoiler:

Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.22
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 82.7030000687
Worker Launch took: 0.921999931335
Job: 1 Save books (0 of 1) finished
Save books (0 of 1)

Worker Launch took: 0.390999794006
Job: 2 Save books (0 of 1) finished
Save books (0 of 1)

The dark red area was saving books, the other jobs were connecting to folders.

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.22
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 30.8910000324
Worker Launch took: 0.281000137329
Worker Launch took: 0.344000101089
Worker Launch took: 0.25
Job: 3 Save books (1 of 2) finished
Save books (1 of 2)

Save books (1 of 2)

Save books (1 of 2)

Save books (1 of 2)

Job: 2 Save books (0 of 2) finished
Save books (0 of 2)

Save books (1 of 2)

Job: 4 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 4 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Get device information callback returned
Job: 5 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG:    0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= FOLDER_DEVICE oncard= None
DEBUG:    0.0 USBMS: dirs are: C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Desktop\Connect_test\ 
Job: 4 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG:    0.1 USBMS: scan from root False C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Desktop\Connect_test\
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: count found in cache: 3, count of files in metadata: 3, need_sync: True
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= FOLDER_DEVICE oncard= carda
DEBUG:    0.4 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= FOLDER_DEVICE oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 5 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
READING LIST: Metadata available: {'main': {u'device_store_uuid': u'bf33051d-8584-4bd2-aca6-99141dba4e25', u'location_code': 'main', u'device_name': u'Folder Device', u'calibre_version': u'0.8.22', u'prefix': u'C:/Documents and Settings/dell/Desktop/Connect_test/', u'last_library_uuid': u'fc7fddf5-8a3c-4916-a6f3-2f6ccfe7af7e', u'date_last_connected': u'2011-10-15T11:42:37.765000+00:00'}}
READING LIST: Sync Now - force_sync= False
DeviceJob: 5 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 6 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG:    2.5 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 5 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DEBUG:    2.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 6 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 6 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 6 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Job: 7 Delete books from device started
DEBUG:   21.1 USBMS: deleting 1 books
DEBUG:   21.1 USBMS: finished deleting 1 books
DeviceJob: 7 Delete books from device done, calling callback
DEBUG:   21.1 USBMS: removing metadata for 1 books
DEBUG:   21.1 USBMS: finished removing metadata for 1 books
DeviceJob: 7 Delete books from device callback returned
Job: 8 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG:   23.1 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG:   23.1 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 8 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 8 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 8 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Job: 7 Delete books from device finished
No details available.
Job: 9 Upload 2 books to device:Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, A Prisoner of Birth started
Device using plugboard epub FOLDER_DEVICE None
Setting metadata in: Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less at: c:\docume~1\dell\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.8.22_tmp_mn08u2\4j88m3caltmpfmt.epub
Device using plugboard epub FOLDER_DEVICE None
Setting metadata in: A Prisoner of Birth at: c:\docume~1\dell\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.8.22_tmp_mn08u2\x2qusbcaltmpfmt.epub
DEBUG:   33.4 USBMS: uploading 2 books
DEBUG:   33.6 USBMS: finished uploading 2 books
DeviceJob: 9 Upload 2 books to device:Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, A Prisoner of Birth done, calling callback
DEBUG:   33.6 USBMS: adding metadata for 2 books
DEBUG:   33.6 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: 9 Upload 2 books to device:Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, A Prisoner of Birth callback returned
Job: 10 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG:   35.5 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 9 Upload 2 books to device:Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, A Prisoner of Birth finished
No details available.
DEBUG:   35.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 10 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 10 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 10 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nothing in those logs. I can't think of any reason using calibre portableshould make a difference. Can you attach one of the epubs you noticed this with. Or alternatively try it with a calibre news download.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Nothing in those logs. I can't think of any reason using calibre portableshould make a difference. Can you attach one of the epubs you noticed this with. Or alternatively try it with a calibre news download.
Same results with a fresh news download. Save to disk didn't update the cover, send to device did update the cover. At least my setup is rock solid consistent. If it is just me, no worries I'm just trying to help localize the problem the OP was having.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Greensboro News & Record [Sat, 15 Oct 2011]_2011-10-15.zip (830.1 KB, 264 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, I am able to reproduce it with the save to disk output epub you attached, now to figure out why it is happening.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Fix will be in next release.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Fix will be in next release.
Excellent!

Hopefully it will help the OP, Save to disk isn't part of my work flow.