Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
AAGF
AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700
ReaderCannot connect to Sony Store

Hi,

My Reader software has suddenly started to act up and I'm looking for some help, please..

My PC is running XP SP2 and nothing has been changed lately. Last night, I cranked up the Reader software to browse for a book, and got the message that it can't connect to the Internet to view the Store.
Error message:

"Unable to access eBook store
Check your network settings to ensure you have access to the internet."

All other Internet connections (Web, Email, Blackberry etc. work fine - it's only the Reader software)

I uninstalled the Reader software, rebooted and downloaded a fresh version. Installed fine but still has the same problem. I'm running the Microsoft Firewall and Security Essentials but have not changed any settings.

Anyone know specifically what the Reader software needs - which port(s), settings? The Help section in the Reader software is not very helpful, telling me it needs Cookie and SSL enabled - how would I check that?

Ideas/suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Andy
AAGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This has happened to me on both my pc an my Mac, and I haven't yet found a solution.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question P'raps...........?

Presumably you've checked for nasties ? Virus'sss etc...?

If no other suggestions come to light, it may possibly be worth going to Spyware Warrior ? ( Brilliant computer global "Help" community site, free (donation if you want), absolutely straight, and a very good bookmark to have anyway. )

They handle a fair few strange happenings, but whether they could help with this, I don't know, but they are really good, and have helped me and others with seemingly insurmountable computer-based problems totally successfully.

Having said all that, you probably know about 'em anyway !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
AAGF
AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AAGF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions - the PC is happily virus-free and is well protected.

Thanks to the Sony report team, the problem is solved. Their instruction was to use Internet Explorer; clear the Cookies, Temp Files, Browsing History and Cache and ensure that the Proxy settings were cleared. Reboot and all was fixed...

The link they provided below also leads to a Mac solution, FYI so a big thank you to the Sony folks.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...rnalId=C549491
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What software did you install after the last time you successfully ran Reader Library? Most cases, it's dodgy software that cases Reader Library to fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
AAGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What software did you install after the last time you successfully ran Reader Library? Most cases, it's dodgy software that cases Reader Library to fail.
Google Chrome. Reviewed and then deleted. Looks like it changed the Proxy settings.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Google Chrome is one nasty piece if software! I have no idea if it can be the culprit here, but It messed up my e-mail client badly a year or two ago. Took control of hyperlinks in e-mails or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but it left some sort of residue even after uninstall.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, one browser has to have control of hyperlinks. In my case, it is Firefox. Browser have an option to check if they are the default and can fix that for you if not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote