Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Dan Jackson's MS .Lit Cracker - only 10 days left!

Get the .Lit cracker before its too late (Oct 31) from Dan's page!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking New host in Poland is found

The Microsoft .Lit cracker has found a new home: www.convertlit.com!

You can download ConvertLit directly from here:

Compiled version of Convert LIT 1.5 (no source) - A precompiled version of the program for Microsoft(r) Windows(tm) operating systems. This is a console mode only program, and is distributed as is.
Convert LIT 1.5 source - The source code for clit and associated library. This should compile cleanly on Linux and *BSD, and should be easily portable. The source code is released under the GPL.
Advert
Old 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
This looks like a great tool. Has anyone used it? I would like to know what exactly happens. Does it convert the .lit to html or something, that can then be converted to other formats? Or what happens here? His website is not real informative, and I haven't the time to mess with it yet... But I have been looking at buying some Microsoft Reader ebooks, so I would love to know how it all works.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've used it to convert lit files into nice HTML, when can then be converted to isilo format. It works VERY well, exploding into the full set of html pages, image files, and the .opf file to remake the book in something like Mobipocket Publisher.

Until recently, all my DRM books have been in Palm Reader format, but I've decided to get the MS reader version from now on for this reason. The PR versions are usually missing cover images, pictures etc, that seem to make it into the lit version. You also have the advantage of being able to read the book again if you upgrade your hardware or software

Craig.

PS - I don't condone piracy of any sort, and only use convertlit to read books I have purchased or downloaded freely.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Thanks for that Craig. I was also wondering about the difference in ebook formats. Looking at buying my first (so far it has been all freebies and webpages) and noticed that it was available in Palm DOC and MS Reader. Also noticed that MS Reader was a much bigger download and thought that images and such might have something to do with it.

To go off topic a bit: I am finding it hard to justify an ebook purchase over just buying the book used. Proper books are just so much more...bookish. And they last. Hmmm how to say it? I suppose I'm a bit too much of a bibliophile and I like to loan things out. I suppose if all my friends had Palms... But I'm sure this goes through everyone's head. And I imagine that it forms the crux of the whole debate around the worth of ebooks. Perhaps this will spin off to its own thread... Would love to hear other people's thoughts on this.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Palm DOC format is basically compressed plain text, so you won't get any formatting or pictures. Lit files use HTML and graphics, and are much nicer to read for that reason.

You've also just highlighted the major problem people have with DRM and ebooks. You CAN'T lend a DRM encrypted ebook to a friend, that's one of the goals of the encryption.

That's why I like convertlit

I much prefer ebooks to standard paper now. I have a HUGE paperback collection, and will still pick up a second hand book if I see one I want, but I don't see myself ever buying a new paperback or hardcover now (the cost is a big barrier for me). Ebooks are cheaper, and I can carry dozens of them in my pocket at once <g>.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch

Convertlit gets my vote, too!