Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Instant Rebate on the Sony Reader?

A number of MobileReaders have noticed that prices seem to be dropping on Readers around the web. igorsk reported that ABT Electronics has reduced their prices, induna pointed out that Fry's Electronics has also dropped.

After some poking around, I found that Best Buy is currently offering a $50 "instant rebate" on the Reader. and a quick survey of other sites revealed that J&R Music and Computer World, and CompUSA, are apparently doing something similar. What started out looking like one retailer bucking the trend, is looking more like an actual price drop!

However, since the $50 drop is specifically presented as a "rebate" by some of the retailers, it seems likely that it may be a temporary thing. But pile it up with the "$149" ConnStore credits, and it's a pretty nice deal.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It sounds great, it may even get some that are on the fence to finally get the Sony Reader. I have had mine since November when the CONNECT store credit was only $50 so this represents a savings of $150 from when I bought mine. Do I feel cheated? Not in the least. I have already gotten more than $150 of enjoyment from the Reader. (Plus I've met a lot of nice folks here at MobileRead that I otherwise might not have met.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hmm, I wonder if it is not selling well, which goes against what we have heard, or if this is the beginning of clearing the channel for the rumored Reader version 2.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I suspect that demand for PVI's e-ink screens has probably not exploded from non-Sony device makers. That would mean that (1) by now, supply is much greater with expanded production capacities and (2) Sony is likely to be a dominant purchaser of the screens.

That should give Sony bargaining power, and may lead to reduced screen costs, and therefore reduced pricing (even if it's only through rebate deals or free books).

Just a wild theory, but it seems to make sense. Unfortunately, we really haven't heard any rumors about a Sony Reader 2, or any signs that there's even a reason to do that yet. Sort of reminds me of how Dell didn't feel much pressure to improve the Axim PDAs, because they had a market leading product for years even with barely any changes to it. But we can always hope Sony will eventually pump out new models like they did for the Clie. Well, minus the part about leaving the business all together! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Think of it as market research. How does demand change at different price points.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
This is directed at those that are considering the Reader.

If you have been considering getting one. Do it. Now seems to be the perfect time since the price drop. I have had mine for several months and have not put it down since. I have increased my reading schedule as the Reader is so convienient to carry. I am a lover of hardcover books, but have found that I carry the Reader with me everywhere (yes... Everywhere).

Not to mention that the books I have read that I would have never bought because of one reason or another.

Again if you are considering the Reader, get it. You will not regret it.

Seth Williams
San Francisco

P.S. No this is not an ad. It is my personal feelings.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Hmm, I wonder if it is not selling well, which goes against what we have heard, or if this is the beginning of clearing the channel for the rumored Reader version 2.
What rumours are these? Please elaborate!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Good deal to hear, I've been thinking about picking up an extra for my wife's use. Guess I'll have to keep my ear to the ground for the best deal.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The only rumors I'm aware of stemmed from a comment by one of the Sony muckety-mucks at CES (I can't remember off-hand who it was).

But there hasn't been anything beyond that one thing that I've been able to dig up, so these days I'm thinking that we shouldn't look for anything to come of it any time soon.

Just my opinion, of course, so salt to taste.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What was the comment?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
The $149.00 Connection Store credit is a rip IMO. Well at least $100.00 of it. Ill wait just a bit longer.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath
The $149.00 Connection Store credit is a rip IMO. Well at least $100.00 of it. Ill wait just a bit longer.
So you may not end up using the $100 part of the credit. That not a good reason to hold off. You still gett he $50 credit which is valid and usable.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
... and a new Reader model, adding wireless capability, will likely appear within the year.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36809
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan
... and a new Reader model, adding wireless capability, will likely appear within the year.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36809
It would be nice if they did a 1024x768 screen and then with the wifi, we could have proper web surfing with a stylus and keyboard like the lebre had. And make the screen 16 shades of grey at least. They can do a lot with it to make it the best reader/PDA ever.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, that was the comment.

It does sound nice, but I haven't seen anything else on it other than that one comment, so it makes me a bit skeptical, is all.