Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Delete All Free Books

Is it possible to delete the included books by just deleting the database? Will it be re-created, empty of course, upon reset?

I do not have my Kobo yet but am planning for these issues when it does arrive.

Thanks.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Yessir
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
A better question ...

is it possible to delete all the free books on Kobo but back them up elsewhere and be able to restore them later individually?

Otherwise this freebie perk of "100 books" is bogus and just darned annoying.

It's not good enough to say: just download them again elsewhere from somewhere if you want them.

I "paid" for them and want them ... maybe in future I'll read them. For now, they clutter up the e-reader and I only want five of them to show up. How do I get from there to here?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
A very good point, SP. In principle, one could dump out the 'free' content and restore it later. I think we have deduced almost enough about the database to do that. But even though the books are all public domain, they are encrypted in the database. Go figure. And I don't think we are sure of how that encryption works, whether we can save the key(s) and restore them, or if they will get lost when we delete the database. Perhaps Kobo will make that reloading possible someday.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Excellent. The first thing I will do is dump the database. Besides, the classics I do want to read are available all over the place in unencumbered ePub form. That won't be an issue.

As a follow up question... Does the update time, after syncing, improve without this massive database present? Or does that not seem to have any effect?

Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Some experiments are best left to the interested owner....

Ummm, haven't a clue, I'm too busy reading to experiment
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
A better question ...

is it possible to delete all the free books on Kobo but back them up elsewhere and be able to restore them later individually?

Otherwise this freebie perk of "100 books" is bogus and just darned annoying.

It's not good enough to say: just download them again elsewhere from somewhere if you want them.

I "paid" for them and want them ... maybe in future I'll read them. For now, they clutter up the e-reader and I only want five of them to show up. How do I get from there to here?
I have done this - made a backup of the original SQLite DB and then proceeded to remove about 80 books I knew I would never read (even so, the remaining 20 are on my 'well, if I really have nothing better to read and these look somewhat interesting' list). Darkadept started a thread and later a wiki outlining the Kobo and its file structure/database. Your SQL-fu should be at least passable if you want to get those books out like I did. Word on the forums is that there is a Calibre driver in the works that will allow you to remove the books as well.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
As a follow up question... Does the update time, after syncing, improve without this massive database present? Or does that not seem to have any effect?
I can't see any difference in the update/sync time between the DB with the 100 preloaded books and the one I stripped the preloads out of.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
I can't see any difference in the update/sync time between the DB with the 100 preloaded books and the one I stripped the preloads out of.
Me neither. Although it's easier navigating around without all those unwanted books cluttering everything up.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
RedRoverJ
Zealot

That's too bad. I was hoping that the lengthy update time was due to updating the database. Of course, since I plan on removing the database completely, I was hoping that it would improve the sync/update time.