Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
'New' Jeeves and Wooster book coming

Not sure if anybody has posted this already, but as a keen Wodehouse fan I was interested to read this weekend that a Wodehouse family sanctioned Jeeves and Wooster book is being written by Sebastian Faulks.

Not sure what I expect from it, other than I shall read it with interest and, if it's half as good as the originals, I'll enjoy it immensely.

Full story from the Guardian, here.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this project. If he just writes a novel featuring Jeeves and Wooster, it might just be worth reading, but I doubt he'll be able to capture Wodehouse's turn of phrase.

As Robert McCrum said, it's "a bit like asking a devout Christian to come up with a fifth gospel". We'll see.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Yes, it is a difficult one. Any attempt to duplicate the Wodehouse style is probably doomed to failure. A novel featuring the characters with a Wodehouse flavour is probably the best we can hope for.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It isn't just a question of style. It's also a matter of capturing the turns of thought and the perversity of the humor and ideas, all of which never read exactly as you remember them (unless you've committed several pages to memory).

The only hope would be if the author chose not to imitate Wodehouse. But then he'd be garroted by fans for inflicting the Trauma of the Unfamiliar.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hmmmm ... he's already penned a "new" James Bond novel (Devil May Care) that had widely mixed reviews. Now onto humor?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Why not keep reading the old ones?

They are essentially all the same. I'm fact, I am never sure when reading one if I have or have not read it already. It's part of their charms.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've read a Sherlock Holmes novel by Ellery Queen that I rather liked, and a Hitchhiker's Guide novel by Eoin Colfer that I thought fell a bit short. I'll take a wait and see on this effort to channel Wodehouse.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
They are essentially all the same. I'm fact, I am never sure when reading one if I have or have not read it already. It's part of their charms.
That is so very true. What's more, you can start reading one you've never read before, and by the end of the first chapter, you know who is going to fall in love with whom, who is going to get his comeuppance, and who is going to steal the cow creamer.

What makes Wodehouse unique is not the plots or even the characters, but the language. If he was alive today, he could write a Kindle user guide and make it funny.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I won't expect too much from this. After all, when you read a book you touch the writer's mind. No one can successfully imitate that. Remember how anemic the 'new' Lucia book was?

Or more recently, P.D. James' attempt to bring back Jane Austen's world and characters.

I've not seen this kind of thing reproduced by another mind convincingly.

Quote:
What makes Wodehouse unique is not the plots or even the characters, but the language. If he was alive today, he could write a Kindle user guide and make it funny.
Yes.

Last edited by pendragginp; 03-15-2013 at 12:22 AM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I won't expect too much from this. After all, when you read a book you touch the writer's mind. No one can successfully imitate that. Remember how anemic the 'new' Lucia book was?

Or more recently, P.D. James' attempt to bring back Jane Austen's world and characters.

I've not seen this kind of thing reproduced by another mind convincingly.
I've rarely seen it work well, but I very much liked Anthony Horowitz's Sherlock Holmes novel "The House of Silk". He really got the feel right, IMHO.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'll try it, but i hated the new peter wimseys, which didn't capture any of the feel of the originals, while trying to mimic the speech patterns and doing a poor job. i disliked poodle springs, which felt just like another robert b. parker, and while i like spenser, i wasn't thrilled that marlowe sounded just like him. and i despised the gone with the wind sequel ***SPOILER ALERT*** scarlet learning magic? really???
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
When I heard this news, I just thought, "The guy who wrote angsty wartime melodrama Birdsong?" My mind just boggled.

But it was the Wodehouse estate that reached out to him, so they must have seen something in his writing that made them think he could do justice to the world of Wooster. Having read one of his books, I'm not sure what that was, but I'll be interested to see what he does with it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote