Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #46
Maida
Enthusiast
Maida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Do I assume that the new "hold the bottom corner" feature to flick quickly through the pages is something specific to kepub? It doesn't seem to work for on epubs.
I wonder what the benefit of such a feature could be. After scrolling it does not return to the initial page.

Does it make any sense, after all?
Maida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 AM   #47
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post
I wonder what the benefit of such a feature could be. After scrolling it does not return to the initial page.

Yes, for us reading non-fiction.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The two renderers are Adobe's RMSDK (compability with Adobe DRM) and ACCESS's Netfront BookReader (epub3 and Japanese typography). Oddly Tolino's firmware has some Readium code but anytime I open an epub3 on an Tolino epos, I get a popup warning me the book may not display properly. It is possible that this may be used in future for their implementation of TEA's DRM (based on Readium's LCP).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

Kobo uses its own display engine for kepubs. They've added several features there, which is straightforward to do, as they control the software.

Any details on what Kobo is doing for BookReader: are they using and modifing their own BookReader source, making contributions to the BookReader code base, ... ?

Doing a quick Google, it looks like Kobo Desktop is using Readium (which has some BookReader contributed code), seems a little strange that the desktop and ereader aren't using the same code?

Just curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maida View Post

It is a quick way to get to another page to look at something. You can return to the page you started from by tapping the "Previous location" in the bottom bar of the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #50
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Best firmware until now

I'd like have your opinion before doing a factory reset on my KA1
Is it better this firmware then the 4.6.9995 ?
Does it work faster and is stabler?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I'd like have your opinion before doing a factory reset on my KA1
Is it better this firmware then the 4.6.9995 ?
Does it work faster and is stabler?
As far as I am concerned, it is a definite improvement over previous versions.

In most cases, you shouldn't need to do a factory reset before upgrading the firmware unless you are wanting a clean starting point.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #52
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Kobo Aura 2013 (so many ebook files on uSD Card) and Firmware 4.8.11073

Hello:

I have a Kobo Aura 2013 (yup, the original) and I keep my e-books on a 32Gb Class 4 uSD SanDisk Card; thousands of e-books, many a Collection... al organized using Calibre. My current firmware is 3.19.5613, for many performance reasons.

Anyone with similar reader/library configuration has tried this firmware for:

Collection access time?
General interface response?
Any lags?

I'm trying to avoid past slow response issues with my Aura on newer firmware.

Awaiting your kind reply,

INCANUS

Last edited by Incanus; 05-30-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Detailed reason for posting on needed advice.
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Hello:

I have a Kobo Aura 2013 (yup, the original) and I keep my e-books on a 32Gb Class 4 uSD SanDisk Card; thousands of e-books, many a Collection... al organized using Calibre. My current firmware is 3.19.5613, for many performance reasons.

Anyone with similar reader/library configuration has tried this firmware for:

Collection access time?
General interface response?
Any lags?

I'm trying to avoid past slow response issues with my Aura on newer firmware.
As the last firmware you tried was 4.6.9995, I think the only noticeable performance improvement has been in highlighting text. This did change in the 4.8.x firmware and seems faster.

Compared to 3.19.5613, the 4.8.x firmware has much better performance for collections. I don't remember exactly when that changed, but I think it was before 4.6.x. For the rest, your stated experience with 4.6.9995 sounds more like that for the previous firmware, 4.6.9960. It had a severe performance bug and was withdrawn quickly and the issues fixed in 4.6.9995.

If you want to test 4.8.11073, the steps you have in the post you linked to will work. But, when I do this sort of thing, I normally take a full copy of the book partition. Then I can wipe and restore this later if I want to go back. That means I can do a factory reset and still get back to my starting point.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #54
Incanus
Incanus

Kobo Aura 2013 (so many ebook files on uSD Card) and Firmware 4.8.11073

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, when I do this sort of thing, I normally take a full copy of the book partition. Then I can wipe and restore this later if I want to go back. That means I can do a factory reset and still get back to my starting point.
Thanks for your kind reply.

How exactly do you copy the book partition?

I'm assuming you are not speaking about the ebooks per se.

Awaiting your kind reply,

INCANUS

Last edited by Incanus; 05-31-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typing error corrected
Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Fail on change to bottom margin!
Now tapping ANYWHERE on bottom edge swaps progress (% time page) rather than ONLY on the text.
Just between that and bottom of text jumps to menu OR brings up the menu bar.
Harder to select a few words on bottom line.
Do these people test real use cases and real users? I've found contacting Kobo a totally fruitless occupation.
Now I have to learn to tap top of screen to get menu (even though it's shown on bottom in reading settings).
I do a huge amount of annotation. It's why I bought it. I had other eReaders already.
Setting it to 1st option (entire centre column for menu) seems to work, I have page turn to swipe only in last FW. Though I HATE the fashion to have no buttons. A pair of real buttons would be < 20c more cost and mean you can turn page while eating or fingers greasy or gloves. I hate swipe or tap on screen for page turn. Offer both with options to configure. At least my Android Tablet, Win netbook/tablet and Phone allow the physical volume buttons as page turn.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Thanks for your kind reply.

How exactly do you copy the book partition?

I'm assuminng you are not speaking about the ebooks per se.
I connect the device and copy everything on the visible partition to a directory on the PC. If you are using a Mac or Linux, you need to make sure you get the hidden directories.

The restore is the same. Connect the device, delete all the files on the partition and copy the files back.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #57
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
You don't have to go all the way to the top to open the menu, you can just tap on the bottom part of the text -- say, the last line -- and it will be brought up. If you long press, you can annotate/highlight as always. Personally, I've only seen improvements in the highlighting feature in this firmware, and I haven't had accuracy issues in the bottom part of the text, so I'm not sure what's causing your problems. It is true though that the implementation of the "fast page turn" feature has brought problems -- they should just remove the 'tap to change page display' feature, it's already in the reading menu, and it's not something that's done often.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #58
Incanus
Incanus

Talking Kobo Aura 2013 (so many ebook files on uSD Card) and Firmware 4.8.11073

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I connect the device and copy everything on the visible partition to a directory on the PC. If you are using a Mac or Linux, you need to make sure you get the hidden directories.

The restore is the same. Connect the device, delete all the files on the partition and copy the files back.
David, as always: a prompt and clear reply!

Much obliged,

INCANUS
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
You don't have to go all the way to the top to open the menu, you can just tap on the bottom part of the text -- say, the last line -- and it will be brought up.
No doubt that's why you have to "hold" so long to start annotating.

Really, for me, apart from the end of line bug where annotation didn't get saved, the firmware has gone backwards since I bought the Kobo H2O. I didn't pay nearly x2 as much as a Paperwhite to have Kobo "adverts" on the bottom 1/5th of screen. Barely more than 1/3rd of home screen compared with ALL of it if you disabled extra tiles in Calibre etc is any use for me. The preview of All Books and last chosen Collection / Shelf is total waste of space.
The %/time/page display now changes too easily.
I suppose annoying because I was writing better document management & GUI software 20 years ago.
The Kindles too are really very poor SW for a mature product. Though the Web converted to pages is better on Kindle. The Web interface is atrocious on the Kobo, it should page, not scroll (which is a nightmare, eInk is no use for scrolling). Also too easily changes Zoom level on web view. There should be no gesture or slider for zoom, totally broken UI ideas for eInk screen.
We want to read, annotate, navigate, search, organise. This stuff isn't hard.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #60
EthanYi
EthanYi began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO aura one,Kindle paperwhite3
How can a new firmware support the "autoshelf"?

How can a new firmware support the "autoshelf"?
EthanYi is offline   Reply With Quote