Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
container.xml problems

NOTE: This issue has been solved.

I don't know how the container.xml error popped up in the first place, but when I was first trying to fix the problem, I created a file named container.xml or container.xhmtl in the Text files folder, which I later forgot about. I simply created a new epub and imported all my files EXCEPT that one. I no longer get an error message and, even better, there's no longer a container.xml file anywhere in my epub.

One of my epubs got zapped somehow. It no longer displayed a cover image, and I couldn't open it in iBooks. I traced the problem to a file I never even knew existed - container.xml.

I thought I had fixed it by simply creating a new container.xml file, but that just created a new problem(s).

So I created a brand new epub and imported my text files, style sheets and images from the original.

When I validate it, I got a warning that container.xml should have the extension .xhtml. I changed it to .xhtml, but that only spawned a new error. From the pages I've Googled, it looks like it's supposed to have the extension .xml, so I changed it back.

I now get a warning that container.xml should be container.xhtml, followed by the following error:

Error Code RSC-005:

Error while parsing file 'element "container" not allowed here; expected the element end-tag, text or element "ns1:switch"... (etc., etc.)

The error is on line 8, which is the second line below...

<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.9.8" />
<meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg" />
<meta property="dcterms:modified">2017-06-10T17:40:25Z</meta>

I noticed that the third line listed above ends with...

</meta>

...while the other two lines end with...

/>

So I fiddled with that but didn't fix anything.

Does anyone know what the solution is?

I'm also still trying to figure out why container.xml even exists in this project. There's no file named container.xml in my working epubs. When I create a new epub, the folder Misc is empty. So where did container.xml come from?

Is there a way to simply get rid of it? Deleting it only causes problems, but maybe there's some associated code in another file I need to delete.

Googling for "RSC-005" turned up some discussions that suggest...well, they're hard to understand. There are some suggestions that the problem is with Pagina epub checker; in other words, it may not be a valid error at all. But that still doesn't explain why container.xml even exists. Other references offer fixes for specific problems.

I'm confused!

Last edited by SigilBear; 06-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the Writers' Forum, which is not for programming code issues.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Moved out of the Writers' Forum, which is not for programming code issues.

Don
(Moderator)
Hmmm...that's what I thought, so I was surprised when one of my recent threads was moved TO the Writer's Forum. On the other hand, this thread has been moved to "Calibre," which isn't really intuitive, as I'm using Sigil.

There should be a forum named "Coding Issues."
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I moved it from the Calibre Editor to the Sigil forum. But on reading your response to Dr. Drib I should have perhaps moved it to the EPUB forum.

I'll leave it up to the Sigil mods to move it on.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
NOTE: This issue has been solved.

I don't know how the container.xml error popped up in the first place, but when I was first trying to fix the problem, I created a file named container.xml or container.xhmtl in the Text files folder, which I later forgot about. I simply created a new epub and imported all my files EXCEPT that one. I no longer get an error message and, even better, there's no longer a container.xml file anywhere in my epub.

Sure there's still a container.xml file in your epub. It's required. Sigil just doesn't let you see, create, or edit it. The one you created and ultimately eliminated was extraneous. You didn't have to go to the trouble importing all the files into a new epub. All you had to do was delete the fake container.xml file and save the epub. Sigil would have made sure the real one (the one Sigil will never let you see) was present.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert