Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
two 'basic tutorial' questions

I used the tutorial (official?) at:
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/BasicTutorial

and came away with two questions:

1) During the cover creation process, the tutorial has you select the image file from the image folder and mark that with semantics as 'cover'. But after we split the chapter, the file itself is not marked with semantics. Do we also need to mark that first file as 'cover'. Or is that redundant?

2)
The tutorial reads:
Quote:
Suppose, though, that "Footnotes" is really just a sub-entry under "Epilogue", and you want it to appear that way in the TOC, too.

In that case, highlight the text with the cursor, and this time pick "Heading 2" from the <Select heading> toolbar option:
Now, that's great if I actually had a parent section already.

But what if I have some appendices, but no obvious parent. Should I create an empty chapter called Appendices to serve as parent? But wouldn't that create a blank page in the book for no reason?

Or do I simply add <h1>Appendices</h1> at the top of the first one (with no chapter break?). What's the proper way to do that?

PS -- I have a bug report and a couple feature requests... but no google account. Is there a way to report the bugs w/o having a google account... I read up on the bug tracker, but couldn't actually log in.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, I almost never use the semantics... I just opened a file to see how this is in my books. I have a cover.xhtml which contains, surprisingly enough, my cover. If I look at the semantics, it is specified as cover. The image itself is labeled as 'cover image'. I would add the semantics as a finishing touch.
Myself I use a template epub, which by default contains a coverpage, titlepage and a default stylesheet. The rest I will add later then, but it helps me.

I am not quite sure what you mean with the other part. You can add empty chapters for footnotes or appendices any time. You can change the order of the chapters by just rearrange them in the browser on the left. However, you can also put the footnotes at the end of a chapter. It is just a link to some text in essence. I would not create chapters will you not will use of course.

I don't know if you can add bug reports without a google account. Since I have one, I never checked. Perhaps openid will work?
Feel free to enter feature requests, but Valloric ultimately will decide. And beware, he is not fond of pink bidets... (just search...).
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I am not quite sure what you mean with the other part. You can add empty chapters for footnotes or appendices any time. You can change the order of the chapters by just rearrange them in the browser on the left. However, you can also put the footnotes at the end of a chapter. It is just a link to some text in essence. I would not create chapters will you not will use of course.
I'm talking about how the tutorial says to create 'child' elements in the TOC.
For example:

Appendices
___A
___B
___C

The problem is, the tutorial starts out with an existing 'parent' chapter.

I don't have that... I just have A, B, C. My question is, how do I get a parent 'Appendices' to show up in the TOC w/o creating a blank chapter.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by affa View Post
I'm talking about how the tutorial says to create 'child' elements in the TOC.
For example:

Appendices
___A
___B
___C

The problem is, the tutorial starts out with an existing 'parent' chapter.

I don't have that... I just have A, B, C. My question is, how do I get a parent 'Appendices' to show up in the TOC w/o creating a blank chapter.
Code:
<h2 >Appendicies</h2>
<h3>Appendix A</h3> <p>A stuff...</p>
<h3>appendix B</h3> <p>B stuff...</p>
<h3>Appendix ZZ</h3> <p>zz stuff</p>
<h2>More back Matter<h2>
That is how you nest
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
affa
Connoisseur

Maybe I'm not explaining myself quite right -- i absolutely understand what nesting is.

I have 3 chapters (files) of Appendices. Each is currently in the TOC just fine.

I want a parent header to these, but I don't want to create a new chapter.

If I change the header in each of the file chapters to <h3> I will indent them all. That's great. But I don't have an entry for 'Appendices'. That's the one I'm asking about.

I know I could create a new chapter titled 'Appendices' and get that as a header to these 3 children appendices... but that would create a blank chapter, which is a problem.

The tutorial 'skips' this issue because it already had an existing 'parent'.
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, theducks is right. If your chapters use a <h2>, give your appendices a <h3>. Make before the first appendix just a line <h2>Appendices</h2> and in the TOC you will have a line for Appendices with your appendices below that as children.
That will not result in a blank chapter. If you don't want to see the additional <h2> header, adjust the style. Create a style in your stylesheet with the property 'display: none' and make the <h2> use that style.

There are many ways to skin a cat and the tutorial is old.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
No, theducks is right. If your chapters use a <h2>, give your appendices a <h3>. Make before the first appendix just a line <h2>Appendices</h2> and in the TOC you will have a line for Appendices with your appendices below that as children.
That will not result in a blank chapter. If you don't want to see the additional <h2> header, adjust the style. Create a style in your stylesheet with the property 'display: none' and make the <h2> use that style.

There are many ways to skin a cat and the tutorial is old.
Ah, that's the vital piece of information i needed. I can just add <h2>Appendices</h2>
anywhere. I thought something in the TOC needed to be it's own chapter.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you describing "New Chapter" to to mean 'New Page' (start on a new screen)? You need to give those headings a little class with the page-break...
see http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/css_reference.asp
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you describing "New Chapter" to to mean 'New Page' (start on a new screen)? You need to give those headings a little class with the page-break...
see http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/css_reference.asp
Each appendices is a different file, all created with Sigil's 'split on chapter break' command.

I have half solved the problem so far by inserting an extra header.

That is, for the first file, it used to just be:

<h2 id="heading_id_2">Glossary</h2>

So first I made the file
<h2 id="heading_id_2">Appendices</h2>
<h3 id="heading_id_3">Glossary</h3>

Therein lies my new problem. As per Toxaris's suggestion above, I added a style for h2 with 'display:none' so that the word Appendices doesn't appear at the top of the Glossary. But this made all my chapter names (all h2) not display either, for obvious reasons.

So then I altered the above and demoted to:

<h3 id="heading_id_3">Appendices</h3>
<h4 id="heading_id_4">Glossary</h4>

And changed the display:none to h3.

Now it doesn't show up in book (great!). But... unfortunately, now Appendices is indented in the TOC, even though I don't want it to be. Now, that's a minor issue, really, and wouldn't cause us not to release it... but the OCD in me really wants to know if there is a way to fix this, since often solutions come in handy in other situations.

Any way around that?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Each appendices is a different file, all created with Sigil's 'split on chapter break' command.

I have half solved the problem so far by inserting an extra header.

That is, for the first file, it used to just be:

<h2 id="heading_id_2">Glossary</h2>

So first I made the file
<h2 id="heading_id_2">Appendices</h2>
<h3 id="heading_id_3">Glossary</h3>

Therein lies my new problem. As per Toxaris's suggestion above, I added a style for h2 with 'display:none' so that the word Appendices doesn't appear at the top of the Glossary. But this made all my chapter names (all h2) not display either, for obvious reasons.

So then I altered the above and demoted to:

<h3 id="heading_id_3">Appendices</h3>

And changed the display:none to h3.

Now it doesn't show up in book (great!). But... unfortunately, now Appendices is indented in the TOC, even though I don't want it to be. Now, that's a minor issue, really, and wouldn't cause us not to release it... but the OCD in me really wants to know if there is a way to fix this, since often solutions come in handy in other situations.

Any way around that?
Make the stylesheet entry (can be any none-selector name)

Code:
.hidden { display: none}
now in your code
<h3 id="heading_id_3" class="hidden">Appendices</h3>

this way, you can use class="hidden" at any level

You missed my earlier example using title="Appendix" which also works with graphic (icon) headings
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Make the stylesheet entry (can be any none-selector name)

Code:
now in your code
<h3 id="heading_id_3" class="hidden">Appendices</h3>

this way, you can use class="hidden" at any level

You missed my earlier example using title="Appendix" which also works with graphic (icon) headings
Ah, I'm a CSS newb... didn't know you could do it that way. Thank you so much, I completely understand that now. Well, I don't understand what 'non-selector' means, but I can look that up.

(still don't see your 'earlier example' anywhere, though?)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well, I don't understand what 'non-selector' means, but I can look that up.

(still don't see your 'earlier example' anywhere, though?)
My goof.
Lets try: any non- reserved word
h3 is a reserved word that applies to all h3 tags
.h3 is not, but IMHO is confusing (BTW you don't use the dot in the class= statement) as it is easy to miss the dot )
the only rule I know, is it must start with a letter. Again avoid hard to spot conditions for you peace of mind. "normal1" is hard to tell L or One in some fonts
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
affa
Connoisseur

works like a dream, thank you!

added

to my css, and
class="hidden"

to the header... and works exactly as I wanted, and as you described! many, many thanks.