Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Trade-in PB302?

The PB302 is a 2010 device which most of us own less than half a year. It is evident that PB will not issue the firmware that will fulfill the promises of a decent browser, rss, writing app, etc. and still remain a trustworthy and stable ereader. The attention of PB is now focused on new devices which are causing enough headaches to PB's firmware developers; they will not be in a position to focus on the PB302 seriously ever again, or so it seems.
Anyway, I feel a little (??? no, a lot) abandoned by PB. I feel they sold me a hardware device with a lot of potential, but will never supply the firmware to go with it.
I'd like PB to simply admit this and offer PB302 owners (and why not PB301 owners too) a reasonable trade-in. Personally I would be interested in some deal against the upcoming PB360 successor.
What do you all think?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
The PB302 is a 2010 device which most of us own less than half a year. It is evident that PB will not issue the firmware that will fulfill the promises of a decent browser, rss, writing app, etc. and still remain a trustworthy and stable ereader. The attention of PB is now focused on new devices which are causing enough headaches to PB's firmware developers; they will not be in a position to focus on the PB302 seriously ever again, or so it seems.
Anyway, I feel a little (??? no, a lot) abandoned by PB. I feel they sold me a hardware device with a lot of potential, but will never supply the firmware to go with it.
I'd like PB to simply admit this and offer PB302 owners (and why not PB301 owners too) a reasonable trade-in. Personally I would be interested in some deal against the upcoming PB360 successor.
What do you all think?
While it may be true hat PB focuses on the new models right now, we will not stop development for our other models. This is a promise that we will keep. Please try to understand that we have only a limited number of programmers. There will be a firmware update for 302 early in the new year and most of the advanced features available for the new readers will be available for the 302, as well.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The PB302 was issued before the firmware for it was ready. It still isn't. Meanwhile PB issues an impressive number of new devices for each of which the firmware is not yet up to par or 'final'. PB is issuing way more hardware than can be dealt with by their apparently hugely understaffed software dept.
Maybe the PB302 will get new firmware in 2011, but we should have had this already last summer. Ever since I bought this so-called multifunctional device the only thing it does is reading (and even this was unstable for a long time).
I'm simply fed up with this. I feel cheated by PB. I do not believe anymore that the promised firmware (including all announced functionality) will ever be issued. As for that I do not expect more than a fix to soothen the likes of me.
Please note also that the rest value of a not even half year old PB302 with an extra 40 euro leather cover is less than half the purchase price. In other words, it is unre-sellable. That's why I feel PB should offer a decent trade-in, get rid of the PB30x disaster, and make sure they keep happy customers.
And for the future: never ever issue any hardware before you get the firmware right!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
While I understand your point for the PB302, the 301 has had no mentionable issues. Unlike the 302, they have been getting their updates when they were out, and they even got some advantage because they could use FBReader180 which wasn't made for the 301 in the first place.

However, more than issuing functional firmwares in the first place, which even Amazon doesn't seem to get right, the idea is that such things are rapidly addressed, either by Pocketbook itself or by the community.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
adbosch
Addict

'such things are rapidly addressed, either by Pocketbook itself or by the community'Really? A firmware that was due last summer? A device issued in march with 'final' firmware promised for june 2010 now maybe in the first half of 2011? Come on, this is not serious!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I know that is not the current situation, but what it should be. Believe me, I have been listening to unfulfilled promises about stable firmwares for PB360 since June. What is most frustrating is not the fact that they don't get it right, but that they don't allow other people to right their wrongs.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Please try to understand that we have only a limited number of programmers.
Fix that. The most effective option is to open up development; allow others to work on core portions that don't need this closed model of "we're working on it, sometime, promise!" - because that's wearing thin.
Please understand that as a developer, the main advantage of Pocketbook is its relative openness - but I see you struggling because there's not enough of it. You could have published what there was of keyboard support, and have fans finish it up. Stability tends to fall in this category too. The same can't be said of the DRM portions, because they're counterproductive at their core.

Another, traditional, approach is bringing in more staff. That would be a serious problem at a stage where you're already swamped with your own promises and don't have any time to spend on orientation. You've overreached, and I hope you can compensate - because if you don't, we'll be left with even less than the current (sad) progress.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
adbosch
Addict

On various sites the PB302 is being sold at dump prices. This means I am unable to get a decent price on the second hand market. The thing is adrift, whatever PB claims. Buyers were cheated into buying a machine that will never live up to sellers promises. I want a trade-in offer!