Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Available in UK stores?

Does anyone know of any bricks and mortar store in the UK that carries the Forma? I can get it online, no problem, but I am concerned about the size/weight issues with my wrists (I suffer from tendonitis) so I don't want to buy one unless I've tried using it first. I'm told it's a little unwieldy compared to a 6" reader.

6" readers I'd happily get online as I know my wrists are OK with them, but the 8" I'm not so sure about. I've also been unable to find the 32GB model in the stores, only from Kobo direct.

As far as I can work out, neither Argos, nor Currys nor John Lewis carry them in store, and WH Smiths only sells the ARC Tablet. It's too new to have turned up in places like Computer Exchange yet, so I'm a bit stuck. If it helps, I live near Huntingdon and work in London. We visit family in Corby quite often.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
It looks like some Argos branches have one in stock, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to open one, but maybe try using their returns policy?
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Argos opened a rotary clothes line package for me. They do try to sell pointless warranties like Currys (do not waste money, c.f. 2 to 6 SOGA and equivalents) but otherwise are helpful if you explain your concerns. Easier to return faulty stuff to than Lidl or Tesco.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but I want a 32GB and I can only get those direct from Kobo. Argos & everywhere else only have 8GB in stock.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Ah, I think the 32gb you might have to get from Kobo direct.

Could you maybe try one at Argos to see how it feels first? I'd be nervous doing that, admittedly, but argos do have a good return policy. Do any curry's shops have one? I know the forma is on their site, but only 8 gb again.

I had a kobo h2o original before my forma. I read mostly in bed, on my side holding my forma with one hand. The forma is lighter and nicer to hold than the glo, and mine is in a case too. I think the Forma is a more tactile.

Do you read a lot of pdf or manga perhaps that you need the bigger storage? I had a 4 gig SD card in my h2o, which I never managed to fill. I had thousands of epubs on it. Admittedly, I did worry at first about the lack of removable SD card when the forma was announced, but when I actually checked how much space I used on my old reader, I was surprised how much I actually needed.

Please don't think I'm questioning your needs about the space, I just really like the reading experience on the Forma and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on trying one.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
maddz
Wizard

From what in store staff in Currys tell me, they don't carry any e-readers in store except maybe a Kindle or two, so you have to order online. I think these days it's too niche.

Most of my reading is ePub so 8GB would be plenty, but I have around 20GB of RPG PDFs sitting in iCloud I need to start reading through, even if all I'm going to end up doing is logging them in LibraryThing. So yes, bigger is better! Besides, my ebook library isn't going to get any smaller

It looks like I'll be meeting someone in London next week to try their Forma, so fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Warning. Reading large pdf on small screen e ink can be frustrating and slow.
They will not reflow so you will be constantly zooming, and not keep up you try to page through original pages.
So if you know that the page you want to see is e.g. page 196, of the print version, it may take an age to get to that
Try before you buy if at all possible

It's pretty bad on small android tablets which have fast scrolling and page refresh, but lack the CPU power for fast pdf rendering. If will be way worse on a forma.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's verging on the bearable (given the Forma's screen size) with third-party readers, but, yeah, PDF on eInk is never going to be especially fun.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote