Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Surface Tablet

I am thinking of purchasing a Surface Pro 3 tablet for a laptop replacement when travelling.

Anyone have one? What do you think of it? What is reading like on it?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Surface Pro 2 that I like. I have not tried reading an eBook on it. But it can be turned portrait if you prefer for reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I personally find anything larger than 8" too large to read on. But it would depend on what you'd like to read. Novels or study books. If the latter, the larger screen would be nice, as those are usually in PDF...

As with Jon, I never used nor will use my SP2 for reading. The SP3 I find too expensive for what I'd do with it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have a Surface Pro 3, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM. I love it, it is truly a laptop AND tablet replacement. Big enough but not too big.

BTW, I think the configuration that I have is the sweet spot; the lowest price model that still has 8 GB of RAM. I got mine at Best Buy for just a bit more than $1300 with keyboard cover and a sleeve after several discounts. I understand that they're now being discounted in preparation for the Surface Pro 4 coming out in the summer.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the original Surface Pro and use it every day. It's an excellent highly-portable laptop. But I wouldn't want to use it as my main work laptop - it's too small for that. For portability, though, it's hard to beat. I work away from home a lot, and it's my travelling machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a Surface Pro 3 tablet for a laptop replacement when travelling.

Anyone have one? What do you think of it? What is reading like on it?
Keyword here is when travelling. And for that I would say yes, its a great choice. The Pro 3 is thin, light, a good size. I took a trip not long ago and out of the iPad's, Galaxy Note, Macbook air, I took my Surface Pro 3. It seemed like the perfect marriage of all these devices and gave me the power I needed at times and table at others.

It has a high res screen so reading is good. I don't use it for books myself, but text is sharp if you want to use it for that.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I personally find anything larger than 8" too large to read on.
Nobody tells you to use the programms always in fullscreen. The modern big screens are made to have space for more then one window.

The most ebookreadersoftware on the PC use as default only a litte window like a 6" ebookreader has.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
Nobody tells you to use the programms always in fullscreen. The modern big screens are made to have space for more then one window.

The most ebookreadersoftware on the PC use as default only a litte window like a 6" ebookreader has.
I find it distracting if it doesn't fill the whole screen. I agree with someone elses comment. 8"is the sweet spot for me as a ereader, portable tablet. I use my Galaxy 8" Note more then any other device besides my main PC.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I find it distracting if it doesn't fill the whole screen. I agree with someone elses comment. 8"is the sweet spot for me as a ereader, portable tablet. I use my Galaxy 8" Note more then any other device besides my main PC.
I don't use my Surface Pro as a reader, though. It's just too heavy to hold as a tablet. It's a great portable touch-sensitive PC, but not a great tablet. I don't know if the Surface Pro 2 or 3 are any better in that regard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't use my Surface Pro as a reader, though. It's just too heavy to hold as a tablet. It's a great portable touch-sensitive PC, but not a great tablet. I don't know if the Surface Pro 2 or 3 are any better in that regard.
I'm in your way of thinking. That's why I said for travel its great. It gives you both tablet and laptop and even a great media streamer all in one device. Good for when your on the road.

Windows itself is still not nearly as finger touch friendly on desktop as it needs to be. Maybe the new browser they are releasing in 10 will fix it but I'm not sure Microsoft is still hunting the tablet users now that the honeymoon seems to be over.

I have a Galaxy Note 12 that I use for surfing when I need a bigger screen. And thats mainly because its better at touch then my Surface 3.

By the way, I use to have the Surface Pro 2. Surface Pro 3 in a lot thinner, and lighter. I'll be interested to see what they do with 4 but I think I'm good now with what I have.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I find it distracting if it doesn't fill the whole screen.
Yes, the same here. I either read in full screen, or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not a great handheld tablet... (got the SP2) You really need to put it down. But when I'm laying on the couch, doing some programming, it works great as a tablet (you try putting a laptop over a cat!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But when I'm laying on the couch, doing some programming, it works great as a tablet (you try putting a laptop over a cat!)
Having multiple cats who think they are lap warmers and an SP3 that I often use as a reader... well, been there etc.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tend to read ebooks on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, but I thought the Surface Pro might work well for magazines, non-fiction (where I like to have it up on a screen while I use it for reference) and for comics.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker

Surface Pro 3 should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I tend to read ebooks on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, but I thought the Surface Pro might work well for magazines, non-fiction (where I like to have it up on a screen while I use it for reference) and for comics.
I have a Note 3 and a surface, I read on the Note (K4A) when I'm out and about and occasionally when home (if I don't feel like getting off my a$$ to walk into the next room to get the Surface); but I usually read on the Surface (K4Win8) when at home.

Hint: If you want to sync the farthest read position from the Surface to the Note you have to switch the Surface to the library screen before navigating away from the Kindle app.