Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Steyn
Junior Member
Steyn began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2019
Device: PC
Upgrading to the 64bit version

Calibre prevents me from upgrading because I no longer have any previous versions' source files. I am trying to install the latest 64bit version and the current version is a 32bit version. Is there any way to remove ALL traces of previous versions without destroying my Library?
Steyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,526
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyn View Post
Calibre prevents me from upgrading because I no longer have any previous versions' source files. I am trying to install the latest 64bit version and the current version is a 32bit version. Is there any way to remove ALL traces of previous versions without destroying my Library?
The Library is separate from the installation, even uninstalling Calibre leaves the settings and Libraries. (FWIW the default Library is only created when the current Library in the setting can not be found. Since a NEW-first time install has no settings, those are created and then the logick can't find the default Library, so that is created)
Both bit versions can be installed (but only 1 used at a time). I understand cleaning out old stuff, myself

All (most) back versions are available at the download site for each OS.
Look for: "Previous releases of calibre are available here." Under the support Calibre stuff for the OS you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #3
Steyn
Junior Member
Steyn began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2019
Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Library is separate from the installation, even uninstalling Calibre leaves the settings and Libraries. (FWIW the default Library is only created when the current Library in the setting can not be found. Since a NEW-first time install has no settings, those are created and then the logick can't find the default Library, so that is created)
Both bit versions can be installed (but only 1 used at a time). I understand cleaning out old stuff, myself

All (most) back versions are available at the download site for each OS.
Look for: "Previous releases of calibre are available here." Under the support Calibre stuff for the OS you want
Thanks for showing me where to get previous versions. I downloaded the required 3.34.0 and uninstalled the 32-bit version. I tried to install the 64-bit version 3.47.1 but it does create a desktop icon. I looked in the Program Files folder but Calibre never created a folder either. So it never installed. I would like to know the reason and to fix the problem.
Steyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,526
Karma: 27600000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyn View Post
Thanks for showing me where to get previous versions. I downloaded the required 3.34.0 and uninstalled the 32-bit version. I tried to install the 64-bit version 3.47.1 but it does create a desktop icon. I looked in the Program Files folder but Calibre never created a folder either. So it never installed. I would like to know the reason and to fix the problem.
W10 latest security is a bit of a pain, but I have not seen it do a partial (icon only).
Right-click the Icon: Properties: Look at the Target (location)

FWIW there are a few folk that can not (for some undiscovered reason) Install 64bit. The only workarounds: 32 bit and in some cases they must use Calibre Portable (IIRC it is 32 bit also, just does not need to be INSTALLED. Very handy when you are not an admin)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,775
Karma: 6562905
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Almere, The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The only workarounds: 32 bit and in some cases they must use Calibre Portable (IIRC it is 32 bit also, just does not need to be INSTALLED. Very handy when you are not an admin)
Yes, Portable is 32 bit. You can make it 64 bit by copying the Calibre program directory of an installed 64 bit version over the Portable program directory, but that's obviously not going to help when the 64 bit version won't install in the first place
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
kenmac999
Member
kenmac999 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyn View Post
Calibre prevents me from upgrading because I no longer have any previous versions' source files. I am trying to install the latest 64bit version and the current version is a 32bit version. Is there any way to remove ALL traces of previous versions without destroying my Library?
Are you running a 64 bit version of Windows 10? You can verify by heading to Settings > System > About. On the right-hand side of the window, look for the “System type” entry.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error in Calibre Version 3.45 64bit Oddball Calibre 30 07-22-2019 05:10 AM
Can't install Version: 2.35.0 on Windows 10 64bit nqk Calibre 4 08-21-2015 03:12 AM
Upgrading from the Demo version CrypticOne Calibre Companion 2 03-08-2015 04:32 AM
Does 64bit version of Calibre work on XP Pro 64? Logos Calibre 1 01-17-2013 12:32 AM
Trouble upgrading to new version *Angie* Calibre 3 01-17-2010 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.