Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #91
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's also a generation more recent, which means it comes with fun new goodies under the hood.
N, okay, that is an argument I would be receptive to EXCEPT there doesn't seem to be any data that indicates a benefit to the user with the Forma (over the KA1) e.g. it's not faster, not better equipped, etc. So how might those "goodies" translate to a better user experience?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's more reactive by virtue of having a much better driven eInk screen. (Also, actually accurate touch input if we're comparing against the Aura One in particular ;p).

That might not be readily visible under some circumstances in Nickel, for various reasons (hi, Qt; hi RMSDK), but if you want to make it fast (hi, KOReader), you can, and it is going to be snappier than a Mk. 6, and generally simply more pleasant to work with.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-27-2019 at 08:49 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #93
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
As long as we’re speculating about a new Kobo device, why not make it a friendly competition?

My money is on 6 inch Forma-shaped ereader. (just guessing, though)
This post is from August 18th.

I was partly right, but I got the screen size wrong.

The Kobo Libra H2O has the same form factor as the Forma, but with a 7 inch E Ink Carta HD display with a resolution of 1,680 x 1,264 and 300 PPI.

Last edited by Andrew Ashling; 09-04-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typos
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #94
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Hmm… I still really want an Aura One, and those are getting harder to find. Any chance an Aura One owner wants to conveniently "lose" their device, so they'll be able to justify a new purchase?
Much to my happy surprise, I am now the owner—via eBay and catching it at just the right moment—of an almost-new condition 8Gb Kobo Aura One. Going from an original Aura to the One is a striking improvement! The size is perfect for me, and the design is one I'd already grown to love.

It arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely thrilled with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	173369  

Last edited by Vintage Season; 09-10-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #95
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Congratulations on the Kobo Aura One.

I also have the One (for about 2 years) and I enjoy it. Mine is the first incarnation, with the Natural Light more of a 'red' color. It's a great ebook reader and I've had zero problems with it.

I've thought about buying the Forma, but not until they fix that godawful band of white light on the side. Once they solve that issue, I'll probably get version 2.

I'm also hesitant to get the newest released Kobo, since it might also have that distracting light that plagues the Forma.

My One, however, still still serves me admirably whenever I wish to read on a larger screen.

Here's hoping that you'll continue to enjoy your Aura One.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #96
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Much to my happy surprise, I am now the owner—via eBay and catching it at just the right moment—of an almost-new condition 8Gb Kobo Aura One. Going from an original Aura to the One is a striking improvement! The size is perfect for me, and the design is one I'd already grown to love.

It arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I was considering getting an Aura One to replace the Paperwhite I gave away. I was considering the 32 gig. Kobo still sells that one new. Plus I think the comfort light is a little less red. What did you pay for used?. They seem to go for about 130-150.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #97
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I was considering getting an Aura One to replace the Paperwhite I gave away. I was considering the 32 gig. Kobo still sells that one new. Plus I think the comfort light is a little less red.
If extreme-setting comfort light redness is influencing your decision, be aware that they are all adjustable along the spectrum. Can you try them hands-on?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #98
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If extreme-setting comfort light redness is influencing your decision, be aware that they are all adjustable along the spectrum. Can you try them hands-on?
Unfortunately no...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #99
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I'm currently the highest bidder on a aura one at $90, auction closes in 8 hrs fingers crossed.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #100
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I was considering getting an Aura One to replace the Paperwhite I gave away. I was considering the 32 gig. Kobo still sells that one new. Plus I think the comfort light is a little less red. What did you pay for used?. They seem to go for about 130-150.
I was very lucky, and this one probably would have gone higher than I paid if the auction description had been clearer about which model it was. I figured it out from the photos, then contacted the seller with an early offer of $100 (which is exactly as much as I had available), and not much hope of getting it. I was doing a Kermit-flail when the offer was accepted a few days before the auction ended, and before anyone ever placed a bid.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #101
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
So.. I'm the lucky owner of a used Aura One, wayheyyyyy can't wait to get it and ( as a kindle only owner) experiment with it.

Quick question, can the aura one rotate landscape mode?.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #102
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
So.. I'm the lucky owner of a used Aura One, wayheyyyyy can't wait to get it and ( as a kindle only owner) experiment with it.

Quick question, can the aura one rotate landscape mode?.
Not without tweaks and from what I recall there could be some weird hiccups
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #103
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
It is possible with a patch that enables landscape mode on all devices. When reading there is no problem (but I used that only for curiosity so I can't say I really tried it), there are some little issues in some views, for example my books, because of dimensions of the lines of the books not suited for landscape, but nothing so bad. Also the Home view is not well rendered. Anyway You can set landscape only when You read and then return to portrait.

I dont know what will happen with next firmware, if the patch will be still possible (I hope) or if it will be no more necessary that should be even better.

Of course it is possible to get landscape also with Koreader.

Last edited by ps67; 09-13-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: home view not well rendered
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
It is possible with a patch that enables landscape mode on all devices.
You don't need a patch. It is a config file option. It is in the next release. But, the menu changes mean you can't change orientation when reading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #105
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Right, i did not remember, I still use the patch but:
# This patch is not necessary anymore since 4.13.12638, as there is a fully
# working config setting (ForceAllowLandscape in the DeveloperSettings section)
# now, but is being kept for backwards compatibility with old kobopatch configs
# and for convenience.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote