Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #136
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
This video has some nice screenshots:

geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #137
tourneur
tourneur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Size comparison (from IG).

tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #138
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Size comparison (from IG).

the size of the Kobo Libra H2O compares favourable when side by side with the Clara. the bigger screen on the Libra is noticeable without the device being that much bigger in physical size. the background also looks considerable less grey than i've seen on some videos.

i'm impressed (believe me it doesn't happen often) with the overall size of the Libra and although i prefer the more standard shaped ereader like my Aura 6" i do like the extra screen size without the dimensions being that much different to the Clara, i also like that it has buttons.

if i can i will definitely try one out at my local shop/store.

edit. not sure if it will be available in 32GB but it would be nice if it is.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 09-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #139
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
the size of the Kobo Libra H2O compares favourable when side by side with the Clara. the bigger screen on the Libra is noticeable without the device being that much bigger in physical size.
Well, that's mainly because this is a comparison in portrait orientation and one device has the thicker border on bottom while the other has it on the left... if you turn it around the Libra seems quite a lot bigger in physical size than the Clara.

The exact dimensions are in the specifications somewhere... so if it has to fit in a specific pocket you can probably figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libra-clara-landscape.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	173413  
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #140
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Well, that's mainly because this is a comparison in portrait orientation and one device has the thicker border on bottom while the other has it on the left... if you turn it around the Libra seems quite a lot bigger in physical size than the Clara.

The exact dimensions are in the specifications somewhere... so if it has to fit in a specific pocket you can probably figure it out.
i should have stated that i meant the size from top to bottom in other words portrait orientation doesn't look that different from the Clara, obviously the Libra is wider and heavier.

best wishes koboy
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #141
SusanReads
SusanReads began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Nook Glowlight 3 has a fantastic, recessed screen with crisp text. It uses IR instead of capacitive touch, so it is a tad sharper than the competition and has very even lighting. Per your description, that would be the best reader for you.

But, the Glowlight 3 can be notoriously glitchy and problematic. It's a nice piece of hardware, but I'd honestly hesitate to recommend it as a reader.

So the screen might be important, but be careful about focusing too much on its importance. There's a lot to be said for nice stable firmware with options you care about.
After your post I've watched some Glowlight 3 review videos and you're totally right! Nice screen, but some issues all around with the software. I've honestly always dismissed the Glowlight 3, because I think it's just one of the ugliest e-readers I've ever seen.

I really wanted to thank you for making me realize that a sharp screen does not have to be the most important thing. I sometimes need some help getting rid of my tunnel vision.

I can't wait til I receive my new Libra (I might have ordered both a black and a white one, and I'm going to decide when I get them), and I'm now going to look at the overall features, not just the screen itself (especially since yes, there are better screens out there, but that doesn't mean this is a bad e-reader).
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #142
bonnerable
Enthusiast
bonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchforkbonnerable can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo HD
Was toying around MS Office recolor tool to see what skin sticker color might look like. Here are some of the colors I find nice. For comparison, the white one is the original color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color 0.png
Views:	33
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	173423   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 1.png
Views:	36
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	173424   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 2.png
Views:	31
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	173425   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 3.png
Views:	32
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	173426   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 4.png
Views:	31
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	173427   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 5.png
Views:	32
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	173428   Click image for larger version

Name:	color 6.png
Views:	29
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	173429  

Last edited by bonnerable; 09-12-2019 at 12:36 PM.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #143
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Was toying around MS Office recolor tool to see what skin sticker color might look like. Here are some of the colors I find nice. For comparison, the white one is the original color.
You make me wish it came in some of these colors. I like the light gray!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #144
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Nice ! I like the tannish color or is it or light gold ? Either way I would like to see more colors too. Be sure to show these to Kobo for inspiration.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #145
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You make me wish it came in some of these colors. I like the light gray!
I wish they came in these colors too ! Going for the tan or gold one.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #146
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I wish they came in these colors too ! Going for the tan or gold one.
Nah. Always black for me. All my phones have been black too. And my laptops, and tablets. Except for my newest laptop, which is golden (and that only because it was the only color left in the store for that specific model).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #147
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post

I can't wait til I receive my new Libra (I might have ordered both a black and a white one, and I'm going to decide when I get them), and I'm now going to look at the overall features, not just the screen itself (especially since yes, there are better screens out there, but that doesn't mean this is a bad e-reader).
As you have the Voyage, I would be very interested to hear how the screen of the Libra compares to the Voyage (especially the black Libra).
Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #148
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nah. Always black for me. All my phones have been black too. And my laptops, and tablets. Except for my newest laptop, which is golden (and that only because it was the only color left in the store for that specific model).
Lol. I would have thought , Wow they left a golden laptop just for me ! I'm ready for more metallic colors too. Not too bright but just right.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #149
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Lol. I would have thought , Wow they left a golden laptop just for me !
You know what, this viewpoint has never even occurred to me. Thanks for ego boosting.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #150
SusanReads
SusanReads began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As you have the Voyage, I would be very interested to hear how the screen of the Libra compares to the Voyage (especially the black Libra).
I've seen the comparison video between the Libra and the Oasis 3 and on that you can see that the text is clearer on the Oasis.
Since it's been commented on by other people that the Voyage has a sharper screen than the Oasis 3 I think the Libra won't be as crisp as my Voyage.

But as been said before, the crispness of the screen does not have to be the most important thing. I'm going to try to stop comparing everything with my Voyage because it looks like that will forever be a unicorn. (Even though I'm not a fan of the flushed screen and the top of my screen is slightly yellow in one place).
But I'll let you guys know on Tuesday when I receive the Libra.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote