Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
droopy
Groupie
droopy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
Question How do u deal with multiauthored books that separate coauthors with the "&" symbol?

Hello fellow Kobo/Forma users,

Some multi-author ebooks I possess separate the authors with the ampersand symbol (&).
My Kobo Forma doesn't list multiauthor works very well.

Say I have a book written by Ashley Galloway and Mark Bentham. In my Forma, it will show up under Bentham, but not under Galloway.
This "author entry" will situate itself somewhere like this:
Code:
Lisa Badd
Ashley Galloway & Mark Bentham
Christopher Browning
This coauthored work, however, will not appear under G (for Galloway).

How do you all handle this sort of problem?

As for me, I have to edit the author metadata from
Code:
Ashley Galloway & Mark Bentham
to
Code:
Ashley Galloway, Mark Bentham
Forma interprets the comma symbol correctly.
When I make this change, the book will now correctly appear both under Galloway and Bentham.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
@droopy,

You've asked this same question in 3 different places. Please stop doing this before a Moderator intervenes.

I've answered it here in the first version I saw.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
droopy
Groupie
droopy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
Hi Jackie,
Yes, it was with thoughtful deliberation that posted in 3 places. One place was seeking a Calibre-related answer, the other was in case the answer was found in patching, and the other was the Kobo Reader forum, just to see what other Kobo users did with this issue.

If I was forced to only post in one place/forum/subforum, where do you suggest?
A) Kobo Reader
B) KoboReader>DevCorner
C)Calibre>Devices
?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hi Jackie,
Yes, it was with thoughtful deliberation that posted in 3 places. One place was seeking a Calibre-related answer, the other was in case the answer was found in patching, and the other was the Kobo Reader forum, just to see what other Kobo users did with this issue.

If I was forced to only post in one place/forum/subforum, where do you suggest?
A) Kobo Reader
B) KoboReader>DevCorner
C)Calibre>Devices
?
Any one of the above is probably OK. It's against MR rules/etiquette to post the same question in multiple places.

If you're not sure whether an issue is purely calibre- or purely Kobo-related either A) or C) will probably be seen by more people than B).

If it's kobopatch-related or any other kind of Kobo hacking then definitely B).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hi Jackie,
Perhaps you haven't noticed that quite a few people are active in all three of those places?

And, yes, many consider multiple posting to qualify as what in my Fidonet days would have been called excessively annoying behaviour.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Also, droopy, you really need to be willing to try things. It is quite hard to irreversibly break a Kobo with the mods in this forum. As long as you don't touch the partition layout or recovery partition, the worst thing you'll need to do is a factory reset. It is totally safe to experiment any of the patches, Koreader, Plato, and so on. If you don't want to lose stuff if you need to factory reset, just make backups of the entire KOBOeReader drive, including the .kobo folder. The best way you'll learn things the best is to try it, instead of asking for guidance at every step.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote